Drake to hen. Hen injury:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xyuingnutfarms, Aug 27, 2016.

1. xyuingnutfarms

xyuingnutfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    Okay, so, just now I saw our male duck on my female chicken. I am aware of how that is not good at all but it happened and my hen has a limp. Not sure if it's because of the weight from the duck or from the potential intercourse . I have her seperated and in house for right now. I know we need to get the ducks seperated but as far as my hen goes for now... Any suggestions? And thank you very much

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Check her over for any wounds/breaks/bleeding. A drake can seriously hurt your hen.
    Keep her inactive for a few days, provide some poultry vitamins in her water. Offer some extra protein in her feed - like egg, tuna or mackerel.
    Hopefully she has a sprain which will take several days to heal.

Let us know how she is doing.

1 person likes this.
  3. xyuingnutfarms

xyuingnutfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    So, so far my hen seems to be doin alright. I couldn't see any bleeding or feel anything out of place on her leg. But, she's still hobbling around but not as bad. She looks at me with more love or something but I think that's because I had her sleep in my room that first night after it happened. Actually on my bed where she chose to lay on my bed next to my head. ( I know I know.... I washed everything the next day). I'm here a lot so I can keep a pretty good eye on her. She's eating, still runs, layed an egg fine... So I'm still just hoping for the best. Just really really hoping there's no internal damage

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad she is eating, laying her eggs, etc.
    That is a good sign. Leg injuries can take a couple of weeks to heal, so just keep an eye on her.

She sounds like a sweet hen.

Keep us posted on her progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by