1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drake to hen ratio.... Would mine be ok?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I hatched out four ducklings a bit ago, and im worried that im gonna end up with two hens and two drakes [​IMG] I have six adult hens now, running with two drakes, I would gladly sell the daddy of these four to keep the males. but say I did get two pairs, and then my ratio would be 8 hens, to 4 drakes, would that be ok? Or would I need to get rid of one?

Thanks in advance!

2. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    in my book it says bout a drake having 6-8 ducks with each drake or you could get more ducks

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Im hopeing to keep my ratio to 1 drake to every 3 hens, but if I get 2 draks, and 2 hens it would kill me to sell them. My main drake (a rouen) is very sweet with the girls and knows when they want it and when they dont, and when they dont he lets em go. My other drake (a welsh harleauin) isnt even breeding yet so know idea how he is with the gals yet...

Just hopeing any drakes I get out of this quad will be easy going like daddy...

4. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    i have 3 drakes and 4 hens and mine all get along good.
    the drakes never fight,
    two were hatch mates and the snowy was added in the fall.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yay! Im so happy now!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It would depend upon the personalities of the drakes involved. Sometimes multiple drakes in a flock cause no problems whatsoever at other times they can become competitive and start gang breeding the hens.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    That would be no good. I will have a extra pen to put mean drakes in if they hurt my hens [​IMG] will the drakes hurt each other if they are all in a pen together? (the drakes)

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'm a 3 to 5 ratio ATM.. not on purpose.. i need to sell two drakes lol Nobody has hurt anybody yet.. but the the younger drakes are a touch of a pain and are clearly trying to take over above my much bigger/older drake but he's not aggressive. I think your best to keep your drake amounts low and your hens higher to keep the peace especially during breeding season. My eventual long term goal is 1 drake - 5 hens.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I try to keep my ratio to 3 hens to every 1 drake. My older drake is much bigger then the younger one, and "wiser" and the little one knows it [​IMG]

If it gets to rough in spring with to many drakes I will get of some drakes. Just hopeing I dont have to [​IMG]

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Depending on the drake, I try and have at least 3-4 females for each of them. Drakes are very rough when breeding and not as gentlemen-like as compared to a rooster. Sometimes a drake will even choose a favorite hen and breed her over and over. Thats when you need a new drake [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by