Drake to Hen Ratio's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Doug the Chicken Man, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    We currently have 2 hens and 1 drake runner ducks.
    We are considering getting some more Runners from Holderreads and as they don't sex them I am curious if I would runn into problems if I had 5-6 hens and 2 or 3 drakes

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I know most people would say that that was too many drakes, and in general they're probably right. However, I have found that that's not always the case. I have two drakes, and two hens, and they all get along perfectly fine. No fights, (except for general pecking order stuff birds do) no over mating, everything is wonderful.

I think in the end it really boils down to the circumstances and to the individual ducks. Just be prepared, if you do try it, to thin down the drakes if problems do arise.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    As with anything else, it pretty much depends on the individual bird. However, I have been told 5-6 hens per drake. They were talking about Muscovies. So I don't know it applies to all ducks.

4. Doug the Chicken Man

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    That is what I suspected. That is why I was wondering so I could narrow it down into some smaller pens and they all would still have access to the creek but segragated into trio's or more if required depending on how many drakes I end up with.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me..

6. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    You can also have a "bachelor" pen. If the females are out of sight I'm told that works well too. I know people who do that quite successfully with call drakes.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    All good input above...I find the same with mine. If one girl seems to be getting a bit too much attention..I give her a rest in the pen with the young immature ducks for a while. Some people say 1 drake to up to ten ducks...but you are likely to have fertility issues- and if you loose your drake you are stuck. I always keep one spare drake more than what I actually think I should have. My group are well adapted - and I even have a pen with two males and one female with no problems. I had one pen as 3 drakes and 3 ducks for a while recently- and no problems for the two months they were all together.

8. Doug the Chicken Man

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks for all the input. We will consider it and go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by