Drake with a swollen, possibly broken foot! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RoosterHenand3Chicks, Jan 13, 2014.

1. RoosterHenand3Chicks

RoosterHenand3Chicks New Egg

Oct 17, 2007
    Help!
    My Rouen drake has been limping, so I checked his foot and the center bone of his foot had a big swollen lump. :( it looks like it was possibly broken, or he punctured it somehow but it healed over. I know there is nothing to do for a broken "toe" but I was wanting to know if there is a good antibiotic I could give him to ward off infection. It's not an open wound so i can't soak it. :( His mate is so attached to him, so I'll do whatever I can to help him feel better.
    Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get to a vet, that can be the best thing. Baytril is one antibiotic that a number of people have used in such cases, I am not a vet or vet tech so I don't have a great background for recommending antibiotics. And that one may require a prescription, I don't know.

Soaking the leg in Epsom salt solution may actually help - it is no replacement for antibiotics, but E.s. can soak in and reduce swelling and draw out toxins, I am told. It is a laxative, so to soak you need to either soak a clean cloth in the solution and wrap the leg - holding onto the duck and the wrapping for several minutes if possible. Or, you could get a flat-bottomed shallow bucket or large bowl and stand the duck's feet and legs in that, and just gently hold the duck there for as long as you both can stand it (then he won't be able to reach the water to drink it).

I also recall some using Duramycin when it was feared that a leg infection had gone systemic.

Here is a note I got from a previous thread

1/4 teaspoon to 20 oz of water (2 1/2 CUPS). Only mix up what you will use immediately and store the rest of the powder in a clean, dry jar

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you get a pic? it could possibly be a bad case of bumble foot . A pic would help alot. But still all Amiga said is the way to go especially if Vet. help is out of the question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by