drake with blood on bill

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stockedkitchen, Jan 2, 2014.

1. stockedkitchen

stockedkitchen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    My drake has blood on either side of his bill looking like his nostrils are bleeding. He seems healthy otherwise. He did have a bit of a scare while I was chasing chickens in the same pin. He's a blue swede and his female looks and seems fine also. They are "free range" in a large pin. Help, I don't know if he's sick or not. I'm thinking a respiratory illness

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] "He did have a bit of a scare" - did he crash into something? sounds far more like an injury than a respiratory situation.

3. stockedkitchen

Jan 2, 2014
    We did not see him crash, just noticed blood from his nostrils.

he don't look scratched up, he looks very healthy overall.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get him into a lukewarm tub - it is the best way I know to get a good look at the duck. He can rinse his nares out and you can see if blood continues to come out.

It is possible he has an infection, but he could have also injured himself.

A vet is always the best idea for possibly serious problems, and I understand that is not always an option.

So take a thorough look at him - listen to his breathing, sniff for off odors, see if there is anything else going on - blood from another area, look under his wings, on his feet, how is he breathing, all that.

If he plowed into something he may possibly have banged his bill hard enough for it to bleed, though it might be more likely to bleed if there is the beginning of an infection, too.

sourland, do you think there is anything that would be good to put in the water to help it heal up? ACV?

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I would vote for Apple Cider Vinegar added to the water. Hopefully drake will do the sniffle-snort thing all on his own to clean the bill.

6. stockedkitchen

Jan 2, 2014
    Thank You very much everyone! he seems fine but its dark and we will follow through with all of your advice first thing in the morning.

Thanks again Mike and Sandy. :)

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We look forward to an update, I would keep watching him closely the next few weeks to see if anything develops. Ducks can bounce back very well, and sometimes their recovery gets derailed and they need more help.

8. stockedkitchen

Jan 2, 2014
    Brought him in and put him in the tub, this morning. He has no blood on him and his nostrils look fine as well as his bill. :) Someone else said that maybe the membrane in his nostrils were dried out from the cold. What do you think? Our air quality has been horrid the last week. It wasn't easy to catch him so that must be a good sign. He wasn't labored in his breathing either.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good news. Could be the cold. Don't know how you might be able to help him out . . . Just make sure he stays hydrated.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe add a bit of ACV to his drinking water 1-2 tab per gallon. He can wash his face in it and also drink it. Un pasterized ACV has properties to kill some bacteria and also works as a tonic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by