Drake with nasty cut on foot, and belly... Need help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So, as usual i go out to do rounds (Feed animals) And today, when feeding the welsh ducks, and mix breds, i noticed that my favorite mix bred duck had a very bad limp!!, So i caught him, and he had a nasty looking gash on his foot, and blood on his belly. I put him in a rubber maid tub, but now I don't know what to do for the little guy!

Thanks in advance!!
    Madison

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would put him in a tub of warm water to see where the blood is coming from. The blood on the belly may be from his foot.

He will need to be cleaned up, possibly taped up, and kept in sick bay for a little while. Open foot wounds, as you know, can lead to dangerous infection.

What antiseptic and antibiotic materials do you have on hand? He also needs some extra vitamins, perhaps apple cider vinegar in his water if you don't already do that.

Sorry to hear of his injury.[​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thanks Amiga!

We don't have a tub, but I will fill bin with warm watter for him, hes a insane duck, it was hard trying to catch him!!.... I was gonna sell him, but I think hes just gonna stay here will hes better.

We don't really have much, but I will check and see. Would washing his feet in Alcohol help?? And should i keep him in the house?, or can I put him in a metal stock tank on my porch?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Alcohol might do more harm than good.

Do you have chamomile tea? That's got some disinfecting qualities.

Just a little very mild, very diluted soap and water would be okay for now. Some super-strong things can make it harder for wounds to heal. A tablespoon of ACV in a cup of water would help, too. But for now, mild soap and water, and rinse thoroughly. If it's a deep wound, just covering it with clean gauze and a bandage around that. Even duck tape can help, depends on the duck.

Wherever it's not too too cold, that you can keep clean (I know, it's relative with ducks) bedding, and can watch him as carefully as possible and keep him somewhat quiet should work. I have a medium-sized dog crate for sick bay.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, no Alcohol.

Yes, we do have that, i will try that. Hes very touchy right now, so I'm gonna get him settle in a bit before I mess with him lol. Plus i gotta finish chores.

OK, thank you so much Amiga for your knowledge! Don't know what I would do with out you! ;)

Is it normal for him too be hissing at me?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is a good sign that he is hissing at you. He hurts, you are a little scary, so he has the strength to try to warn you off.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    OK, I don't mind him hissing, its cute [​IMG]... Hes a cutie!

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Well, I found a home for him, at leased i think. I'm gonna talk to the guy tomorrow, see if he can care for him properly. His limp is getting kinda bad :(

9. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    You could try a poultice of honey on his wound. Honey has very powerful antiseptic qualities and is usually pretty easy to get your hands on. [​IMG]

I think doing your best to keep him calm, and maybe pack the wound with honey & wrap in gauze. Do you have sav-a-chick on hand? That stuff may be another nice additive for him.
    Good luck Duckgirl.
    How many ducks do you have now? I am still holding strong at 3, but am picking up 2 WH & a Cayuga - sexed ducklings - in two weeks or so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by