Drake with ** UPDATE: we lost him .... very sad.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ohiofarmgirl, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    UPDATE:

we lost him. its very sad - honestly i dont know how we're going to replace him. goodbye Mr Duck... thanks for all the ducklings....

--------------------

now he has foamy eyes - does anyone know if i can give him sulmet?? needin' some help here folks....

------------------------------------------------------------
    last nite
    apologies to everyone eating dinner for the description..

our drake doesnt look good. yesterday he was kind of sitting around alot - and today his feathers look dull, he isnt holding his wings in, and it seems he has the poop as above.

he's not socialized so he's not really around - but the last couple of days he has been parked in the hen yard. at first i thought he was guarding the setting hen.. but he doesnt look good.

this does NOT look like the cocci that was in the chickens - its too green.

thoughts!?!? i dont think we'd be able to dose him unless we put something in the water.

help!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    help? he's really listless... any ideas???

3. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    vitamins in his water would be a good start. if hes not around much could he have eaten something bad? could someone else gave him something bad?
    i would get vitamins into him asap. other then that take him in to the vet.
    sorry hope all goes well

4. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    needing some love here folks - see that now he has foamy eyes -- is this a cold or botulism???

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

did you start with the viatims? Can you call an extension, or a local vet to see if they might know what it is? I wish I could be more helpful. [​IMG]

6. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    thanks rainplace - yep gave him the vit's. and we moved him into a cool place and gave fresh water/vits.

do you know anything about sulmet for ducks???

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I've done some googling and the best I came up with is this:

Riemerella anatipestifer Infection
    This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Typical lesions found in dead birds are infected air sacs, membranes covering the heart and liver, and meningitis. Preventive management and vaccination are effective means of control. Penicillin, enrofloxacin and sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in feed) are effective in reducing mortality.

http://www.duckhealth.com/duckhlth.html

It sounds like it could be your disease. If so, he needs antibiotics immediately. Good luck.​

8. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    THANKS - i couldnt find anything close to this! thanks also for the site reference

:)

9. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Cornell's Vet School is a great source of information. They are one of my "go tos" for everything. Good luck and I hope you can save him, but it does say "high mortality." [​IMG] It helps to know that going in.

10. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] I hope your duck pulls through! Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: