Drake won't stop chasing baby!

flyer314

Hatching
Sep 23, 2015
Hello, fellow fowl-loving friends. :) I have a 1 year old drake who is a wonderful protector to my 2 laying golden 300's. I introduced "Cocoa" the Khaki to the flock back in October when she was just a couple weeks old. Here we are almost to March and my drake will not leave her alone!! They're fine every night together in their barn, but during the day, we watch as the 4 ducks happily forage, and then the drake will out of nowhere start running and chasing Cocoa. He bites her neck and seems very antagonistic. She has let him mate a few times, but why won't he stop chasing her? I'm afraid it's wearing her out. Thank you in advance for any insight or advice.

Yep, drakes love the ladies and sometimes don't realize they are being a little rough at times. A young female just beginning laying will sometimes be bullied more then an older hen who has been laying for some time. You could try placing her in a pen by day for a week or two (in sight of the others) until she has a chance to calm down and mature some. You could also try getting one or two more females to keep him busy (around her age).
You can also offer her hiding places, room to escape, pools, and some bushes and the like.

I hope this helps some. Drakes can injure females necks, backs and legs so give her some babying and she should get better.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Thanks so much for the good ideas and encouragement. We have done all of the above, and will continue to do so as we wait for her to mature. She's a good escapee. ;)

Back
Top Bottom