Drakes and Chicken Hens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 18stellas1bella, Dec 28, 2013.

1. 18stellas1bella

18stellas1bella Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    I have 19 BSL hens, no roosters. They are currently 5 months old and have been laying for a month now with 100% egg production and some lay twice a day with double yoke eggs.

Anyway in the spring I want to get a couple ducklings, although I'm not quite sure yet. I'm having trouble deciding whether to get males or females and other stuff. If you guys could answer the following questions that would be great :)

I'm thinking of either rouen ducks or call ducks, possibly 1 of each breed, or just 2 of 1 of those breeds.

•Do either of these 2 breeds get along with hens well?

•How well do they deal with climate change? (I'm in Canada so VERY cold winters and hot summers and we usually have sudden changes)

•When I get them, can I put them in the coop with the chickens right away, or do they have to be separate for a while?

•How often will I have to clip their wings?

•If I get 1 male and 1 female will the eggs be fertilized? (I must sound like an idiot...although I don't know much on ducks and I'm not sure how they work compared to chickens. We do not want to breed, only eggs for eating!)

•If I get 1 male or 2 males will they try to do anything with the chicken hens? (Like I said above, we only do eggs for eating and sell many and with such great production we don't want to mess it up)

•Will I have to buy separate feed for the ducks? Or can they eat the scratch grain and laying mash our chickens get?

Thank you so much! xoxo

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ducks and chickens can coexist given properly husbandry precautions. Drakes with chickens can be a major problem. Drakes have a penis, roosters do not. Drakes breeding chicken hens can result in a variety of problems from pelvic injury, to infection, to prolapse - resulting in decreased egg production and even death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by