Drakes, are they like roosters

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jjdward, May 12, 2009.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Do I need to keep a drake around my ducks? I've got 6 duck and i'm not sure of their sex but I know their breed. i have KC and blue swedish. I know a rooster is a gaurdian of his flock but does a drake serve the same purpose? [​IMG] I don't want anymore ducks so why would I keep one if I end up having any?

2. Hi! In my opinion, you only need a male if you want fertile eggs --- whether it's land fowl or waterfowl.
    I've never seen any benefit to keeping a drake for the sake of protection.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    No need to keep them. My drakes are the first to run. They must be the navigators.

4. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:[​IMG]

and so true!!

5. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i had a drake that was VERY protective of everyone in the flock. he would attack my dog and cats (granted he was bigger than them) if they got too close. he would chase them around the yard until he was satisfied that they were far enough away. sadly, a coyote got him last sunday.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I know a rooster is a gaurdian of his flock but does a drake serve the same purpose?

My khaki drake took his guardian duties very seriously. He watched the sky for big birds and herded the girls under the porch if he saw something he thought was a threat. He called them over to treats and always let them eat first. He chased the cat away...you get the idea.

I only sold him because he HATED my baby ducks. Turns out one was a drake. Since the baby was more tame, I kept him and sold Jack. Now Bungie is doing the same thing...watching the sky, protecting his girlfriend (a little khaki mutt he ADORES), chasing the cat...

(Don't feel sorry for the cat. He is a butthead and deserves to be chased [​IMG] )​

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:A ubiquitous truth!

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Don't let his cuteness fool you. He has more energy than he know what to do with and uses it to cause all kinds of trouble [​IMG]

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    [​IMG]
    I have one of those. I'm just glad the flash blinded her while I made my escape. She's a firecracker.
    ETa: I didn't make my bed and you can't make me!

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    [​IMG]

I don't have to worry about my cat chasing too much!! Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by