Drakes being aggressive toward chicken

ClapperCounty

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Yorktown, VA
I have 2 pekin drakes and 1 mallard drake. The mallard is about 6 months and the Pekins 5 months. One pekin started to "attack" just one of my 9 chickens. Now the other 2 have started. It's always the same hen and they are constantly trying to grab her and mount her!! We try chasing them away when they start, we've isolated the pekin that starts it in the chicken yard while everyone else is in the free ranging. I'm not sure what to do with him at this point. Both ducks and chickens free range in our backyard all day. The one hen is a little "different" than the others. She's obviously more submissive than all the other girls and is alone quite often. I'm worried a duck more than twice her size constantly trying to mate with her (weird duck!! She's a chicken!!?!!) will eventually hurt her. Starting to consider duck for thanksgiving...

I have 2 pekin drakes and 1 mallard drake. The mallard is about 6 months and the Pekins 5 months. One pekin started to "attack" just one of my 9 chickens. Now the other 2 have started. It's always the same hen and they are constantly trying to grab her and mount her!! We try chasing them away when they start, we've isolated the pekin that starts it in the chicken yard while everyone else is in the free ranging. I'm not sure what to do with him at this point. Both ducks and chickens free range in our backyard all day. The one hen is a little "different" than the others. She's obviously more submissive than all the other girls and is alone quite often. I'm worried a duck more than twice her size constantly trying to mate with her (weird duck!! She's a chicken!!?!!) will eventually hurt her. Starting to consider duck for thanksgiving...
They will most likely kill her ducks and chickens are not made to mate anatomically. Your chickens need to be completely separated from your drakes.

Back
Top Bottom