Drakes & Eggs

CherryCord

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
I think my drake may have eaten one of Sweetpea's eggs. Either him or one of my four five week old ducks. There is no trace of the egg, not in the straw and no egg shells.
They're in a big pen so no predators did it.
She had two eggs this morning and only one when I got home from work.
Regardless what should I do?
Do I separate him from her? If I even can. Sweetpea gets siezures when she's scared and since she met Brego she follows him EVERYWHERE, and hasn't had a siezure since. Brego is kinda like her support animal if she were a human.
Or do I separate her from the rest?
If I separate anyone they will since be able to see the others, but not physically interact.

Did you see any egg residue in bedding or on the other egg. My chickens are egg eaters, and every time they eat and egg, there is yolk and egg white in the nest, and smeared on the other egg.
If you don't see any residue, I think its rodents. Rats and mice will tunnel under the run and steal eggs. Its very likely.

Is it ok if they get eaten? My ducks eat their eggs sometimes and I don't mind. I do find traces of the egg, though. You could also make sure to collect them as early as possible, and/or give dummy eggs. They'll try to break them and it won't work. Eventually they'll learn that eggs don't break.

Did you see any egg residue in bedding or on the other egg. My chickens are egg eaters, and every time they eat and egg, there is yolk and egg white in the nest, and smeared on the other egg.
If you don't see any residue, I think its rodents. Rats and mice will tunnel under the run and steal eggs. Its very likely.
I did not. Mice can steal an egg?? Even though it's bigger and heavier?
I set up a camera in the nesting area so if ut haooens again I'll know what happened. Are mice nocturnal though? The egg went missing in the day time.

I set up a camera in the nesting area so if ut haooens again I'll know what happened. Are mice nocturnal though? The egg went missing in the day time.
Yep, mice will steal eggs for sure. They're stronger then you'd imagine.
Mice are nocturnal, but they will venture out during the day if they have been residents for awhile. Once they're comfortable enough, there out.
Tell us what you see on the camera!

Mice and rats are usually the most active during dusk and night. However seeing them during the day is common if your populations are large enough. My rat population varies and at times I see several everyday during the middle of the day.

I don't kill rodents, or use pest control, but my bosses do. So I speak with a professional pest control service at work. They told me that rats and mice do not live in the same areas, because rats will chase out the mice. I don't like to be so absolute about things, so if you are seeing one (or their droppings) you probably don't have the other.

Yep, mice will steal eggs for sure. They're stronger then you'd imagine.
Mice are nocturnal, but they will venture out during the day if they have been residents for awhile. Once they're comfortable enough, there out.
Tell us what you see on the camera!
Oh wow. Okay. Yeah I'll definitely notify of any finds I make.

Back
Top Bottom