Drakes fighting Roo

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crissycriss, Oct 5, 2012.

1. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    My drakes are starting to pick fighhts with my alpha rooster.I just added 2,000ft+ run.Along with their 1,089 ft run.They have always gotten along with each other until today.Im afraid the rooster is going to peck my drakes eyes out.Can anyone tell me why my drakes are jumping on only this roo.My dad and husband had to break up 3 different fights today before they seperated them into different runs.How can i get them to get along again?The new run has grass where the other run has been picked clean of grass.Thanks for all help and suggestions.

They are 26+ wks &Roo is 1 month older.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hormones, the only thing you can do is separate, maybe when cold weather hits things will settle down till spring, My drakes and main roo had to come to an agreement and they worked it out with out blood shed, Mine free range though so they aren't confined together, even a large run like you have must not be enough room for all the testosterone thats being put out right now. Another thing you have to watch out for when housing drakes with chickens is the drakes may try and mate with your hens which is a death sentence for your hens.

3. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Thanks I have them seperated. I have been watching them with my hens they havent been messing with them only their ducks.But then again they havent been messing with the rooster either.So like you said its best to seperate. Hopefully by spring i will have about 2 1\2 acers fenced in and that will help.I want to free range mine but there are to many dogs running free that would kill them.Not to mention the fox family that lives on the back side of prpperty.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like a good plan, I know they'll enjoy the extra space.

5. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    OOhh... Rooster. I thought you meant roo, as in kangaroo. Pretty brave duck if he could do that!

6. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    LOL!! Ha ha he would be one crazy drake.

7. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    LOL!! Ha ha he would be one crazy drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by