Drakes fighting.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emjay, Nov 12, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Will drakes kill each other, or is their fighting just a bunch of feather pulling, chest bashing, pinning down behaviors. I am worried of them trying to drown each other in the pond. Anyone ever had that happen to them before?

My ratio for hens to drakes is wrong, I am currently looking for some more hens, rather then having to part with a drake.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    What breed?

How many ?

do you lock them up or have a pen to seperate them?

When i first started out i had 3 drakes and one hen. Fighting ALL THE TIME. So I ended up leaving my oldest, sweetest drake with the hen and locked the remaining drakes in a seperate pen. That way they could be with eachother on either sides of the pen but the drakes didnt fight and my single gal got a break.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks God & Iamcuriositycat that my 2 drakes get on so well together. If 1 gets to have rooty toot with the girls they both whistle, stick their little mowhawks up and run round patting each other on the back. They are such hams.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

That really made me laugh, thanks!

On a serious note--yes, they will seriously injure or even kill one another sometimes. I had that happen before I knew what I was doing, and I still regret that I didn't stop it before it got so bad. I just kept thinking they would work it out eventually. Which they did, but not in a way that made me happy.

If you can put your favorite (mild-tempered) guy in with the girls & the rest of the boys in a separate area, it should reduce the fighting. Add more females & try again. Good luck!

5. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    THey are about 7 months old now.

Today they were getting along fine. I am hoping to find more girls, as I don't have a setup where I can isolate a boy from everyone.
    If no girls are to be found, I will have to part with one. Which is okay, but, I'd rather not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by