Drakes losing feathers already-molting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Snipes, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    My drakes (my flock, I have only 3 brothers) are losing their feathers like mad. I don't imagine it is a good time for molting?! I don't think they are sick- I know they don't show they are sick until they are REALLY ill usually, but they are behaving like they usually do and don't seem unfit in any way. I was wondering if maybe I am tricking their bodies into thinking that it isn't the dead of winter, but in most animals, change based on seasons is usually due to daylight hours, not temperature. See, when it gets dark they come inside and hang with me as house ducks, and like the cat, they love to park themselves in front of the heater and fall asleep by it while it blasts warm air. What's going on? I feel like in another few weeks if they continue to lose their feathers, I am either going to have to keep them inside all the time to keep them warm, or make sweaters for them.

2. You are probably right about tricking their bodies into thinking it's warm weather by bringing them in. I think it will be ok as long as you can always make sure you are bringing them in when it gets too cold. At this point they probably need you to do that because they have gotten acclimatized to your house. It might be good if you didn't let them park right in front of the heater though as much as they must love it. They won't loose all their feathers but you don't want to induce any extra molting this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by