Drakes mellow at times of year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Sep 24, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My drakes had been just horribly violent for about the last 6 weeks with their mating behavior. We have been keeping them entirely separately from the hens for fear that someone would end up dead (bad ratio 3:3 [​IMG] ) They seemed to have mellowed. This morning I actually have the entire flock together. But I am wondering whether it is an illusion and I shouldn't trust them together. I am watching them, but concerned. Is it likely the frenzied behavior is going to be lessened until next spring or ?

[​IMG]

The only frenzied behavior this morning is searching for the clump of frozen peas that is spread in their run. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Mine have been MANIACS the last week or so-I think they sense a weather change.
    My girls are laying again(which is crazy) and they are pulling feathers and pokin' eyes! This is totally different behavior than I had this time last year so I'm not sure what gives.
    Hopefully, we'll get another lull before serious breeding season starts-this is nuts!
    Good luck to you and your birds.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:things are beginning to calm down here for the most part, still getting an egg once in a while but I think the shorter days and cooler temps are mellowing them out. Thank goodness [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by