Drakes now Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck55, Oct 16, 2012.

1. duck55

duck55 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2012
    Hi,
    We recently picked up a couple of "ducks" for the garden. Eight weeks in and not a quack to be heard. We were told they were 90% likely female, but now doubt has set in. They both still "peep" a bit, though one is deeper than the other. I've seen videos of really young ducklings quacking really loudly. These two are practically fully grown!

Is it too late for them to develop a quack? Have we been mislead? Are we destined for supermarket chicken eggs for the foreseeable???[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What breed we looking at here? And [​IMG]

3. duck55

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome!
    They were sold as runners and they definitely have runner in them, though they look as though they have been crossed at some point. Does the breed make a difference to the age they will quack? They are great birds, put themselves away at night etc, just starting think they are looking like drakes.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    if that is then currently in your avatar they are still very young.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you post more pics and since they are Runner ducks would diff quack and boys kinda grumble, but if they are as young as your avatar then probably too young yet to know for sure.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is it possible someone missed on the age? At eight weeks, my runners were probably 70 or 80% of full size. Not to give you false hope, but I also feel it may be too soon to be sure.

7. duck55

Oct 16, 2012
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. These are the last pictures I took, at seven and a half weeks. I will take more and update soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I think your ducklings are much younger than you think. Here are mine at 4 weeks which is when they were just starting to experiment with quacking:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 weeks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 weeks:
    [​IMG]

9. duck55

Oct 16, 2012
    Apologies.

The date (and order) of the pics when transfered to my PC are wrong. Picture 1 is at 5 weeks and picture 2 is at 4 weeks. I'll get some up to date pics asap.

10. duck55

Oct 16, 2012
    OK. Updated pictures. Here they are at 8 weeks. Still no quacks but vocally they sound slightly different. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by