Drakes or hens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RellaBean2, Jun 28, 2016.

1. RellaBean2

RellaBean2 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    I know the 'sex my duck' threads are plenty but have to know! I currently have 4 mallard ducks that are about 8 weeks old. Two of them are obviously male and have a nice green sheen to their pretty little heads. The other 2 I am not so sure about.

They all seem to 'quack' and all the you tube videos on the world haven't helped in the slightest. I swear I see green sometimes on their heads and then it disappears and I think I'm crazy [​IMG]
    What do you think? These are the 2 in question. The duck with the orange bill is the loudest.

[​IMG]

I love my babies but I know I'll have to rehome a few males if I do have 3 [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @RellaBean2 Welcome to BYC

I really don't know that much about mallards other than they are beautiful. but if you'll look up the Mallard not Rouen thread and post your question and pics there I bet someone can help you. Very pretty ducks.

My Runners were about 6 weeks old when I picked up each one and when I heard the loud quack knew I had a female and knew I had a drake when the one I picked up sounded raspy like he had a cold in his nose.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754458/mallard-thread-not-rouens-mallards/1840#post_17218414

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. RellaBean2

RellaBean2 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    Thanks! I will do that [​IMG]

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    You could try vent sexing but they should have obviously different voices by now. The hens will quack like a duck while the drakes sound more like croaking frogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by