1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drakes Unhappy Without Females?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I have been randomly reading some threads, and on some of them some people say that drakes are unhappy without any female ducks. Is this true? I have an all drake flock of three (I have a three week old male magpie duckling who is going to join them when the weather gets warmer). I want them to be happy, so if they are going to be unhappy without females i would like to know.
    Thanks!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Some people keep all-drake flocks, and it works, so I think they should be fine.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't think so, as HDF said many keep drake flocks, not a thing wrong with that. Actually, when keeping mixed sexes it complicates things. [​IMG]

4. DucksinOR

DucksinOR Out Of The Brooder

I volunteer at a place that has an all drake flock, and they are happier now than when they had hens.

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks so much for all the input! I feel much better knowing my boys will still be happy!

6. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Many extra drakes are killed so actually you are saving 4 lives. Good for you.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are a number of people who prefer all-drake flocks. And from what I have heard, in most cases, if there are no girl ducks around, a boys' club works out very well.

Some just don't want to worry about all the egg-laying problems that can come up. And it is a heartache. We have lost two to egg yolk peritonitis, and I constantly try to resolve the issues that a few of my ducks have with laying. Sechs had a prolapse last year. That was white-hot scary.

So, bravo, boys!!

8. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Sorry about your egg problems:( I can see how that can become a handful.

9. kmlady518

kmlady518 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Cleveland ohio
    I have an all drake flock of three. I had 2 girl I had to rehome because of improper ratio problems. It has worked out alright. They seemed bothered right after I got rid of the girls but I think they were reworking the pecking order. The only thing I noticed is my one boy likes to "get it on" with one of my other drakes. I dont know if that is normal or not

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think that is pretty normal. It's also a dominance thing with drakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by