potentially aggressive drakes??

lweyatt78

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
i have two drakes, a mallard/rouen and a khaki campbell and they get along pretty well besides fighting over the pool (nothing too serious they just bite eacother a bit) they sometimes bite eachother outside the pool. they are about 4 or 5 months old. i also have a dog in my yard which they have become bonded to as well i think. i think they've bonded too well to her. they won't eat the feed that i give them, they want whatever shes eating, they even tried to eat her dog food one time. they also follow her around. I usually let them roam the yard but should i seperate them? I know it sounds silly but im worried that this could potentially become a problem. shes one of the giant dog breeds (great pyrenees/st bernard mix) and she gets along pretty well with them which is good for a livestock guardian i think. shes super gentle and i haven't experienced any loss involving her, and she doesn't bother them.

Last edited:
i have two drakes, a mallard/rouen and a khaki campbell and they get along pretty well besides fighting over the pool (nothing too serious they just bite eacother a bit) they sometimes bite eachother outside the pool. they are about 4 or 5 months old. i also have a dog in my yard which they have become bonded to as well i think. i think they've bonded too well to her. they won't eat the feed that i give them, they want whatever shes eating, they even tried to eat her dog food one time. they also follow her around. I usually let them roam the yard but should i seperate them? I know it sounds silly but im worried that this could potentially become a problem. shes one of the giant dog breeds (great pyrenees/st bernard mix) and she gets along pretty well with them which is good for a livestock guardian i think. shes super gentle and i haven't experienced any loss involving her, and she doesn't bother them.
actually i don't think she would let them hurt her-

they follow her around? they may be imprinted on her. the only thing i would worry about then would be, them seeing her as a mate. if that’s the case they may try to mate with her, would she hirt them if she saw it as aggression?

they follow her around? they may be imprinted on her. the only thing i would worry about then would be, them seeing her as a mate. if that’s the case they may try to mate with her, would she hirt them if she saw it as aggression?
thats what i was worried about-
i plan on putting them in their own pen soon though idk if that would help. I dont think they're mature enough for that yet.. they sometimes bob their heads though.

Not sure about most of this, but as far as the dog food goes some ducks (mine included) will go after dog or cat food, I read somewhere on here that perhaps they are after they oils in certain kinds. Or perhaps it’s corn lots of dog and cat foods use corn as a filler. So the eating dog food might just be they like the taste of it. Mine have eaten dog and cat food on and off with no ill effects.

I would not see why you have to separate them

thats what i was worried about-
i plan on putting them in their own pen soon though idk if that would help. I dont think they're mature enough for that yet.. they sometimes bob their heads though.
if the dog is super chill, she may be fine with them climbing on her and being close to her. if that’s the case it’s fine to keep them together. if she will bite or hurt them in anyway, seperate.

if the dog is super chill, she may be fine with them climbing on her and being close to her. if that’s the case it’s fine to keep them together. if she will bite or hurt them in anyway, seperate.
shes totally fine with being with them, one of them even came up to her and bit her under her tail and on her head and she seemed completely unbothered by it, she even kind of nipped back gently. im still worried that they may see her as a mate and cause problems. is the biting behavior normal for ducks?

Last edited:
shes totally fine with being with them, one of them even came up to her and bit her under her tail and on her head and she seemed completely unbothered by it, she even kind of nipped back gently. im still worried that they may see her as a mate and cause problems. is the biting behavior normal for ducks?
drakes bite the females neck and hold her down when they mate, but shouldn’t usually bite

drakes bite the females neck and hold her down when they mate, but shouldn’t usually bite
but they shouldn't be able to harm her like they could harm a chicken right? ive read about ducks attempting to mate with chickens and end up killing them or causing a prolapse. maybe im just overthinking..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom