Drakes

Duckgirl21

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2022
I have 2 Pekin drakes soon to be a year old. I know that it’s spring time and that love is in the air. My question is will they hurt each other? They are the only two I have no females. I have noticed an up tick in there “fighting” or sibling rivalry. They are the same age and have been together since day 1. I’m just concerned that they will harm each other or worse. What should I be prepared for or need to kneo

They might fight more during mating season but should be fine. Some have flocks of all males and have no trouble. If it gets too rough you can separate them for a bit. Orrrr could always add some ladies to the flock but if you do that you’ll definitely want to go on the heavier end of the ratio and get more to play safe. Can you ever have enough ducks??
I have 2 Pekin drakes soon to be a year old. I know that it’s spring time and that love is in the air. My question is will they hurt each other? They are the only two I have no females. I have noticed an up tick in there “fighting” or sibling rivalry. They are the same age and have been together since day 1. I’m just concerned that they will harm each other or worse. What should I be prepared for or need to kneo

They'll be fine! They can get pretty hormonal this time of year, and could fight a little- but generally they should be fine. If ever it gets too bad, just separate them for a little bit and try reintroducing.
If they have plenty of space, they should be okay. Do they have a pool? Generally drakes do best with a little pool each, rather than sharing, I have heard. Ducks mate in the water, so being in the water can trigger those hormones somewhat, I believe. So if you could give them two little pools instead of just one, it could help to keep the peace. Of course if they have a large pool/pond/lake then ignore me-!

I think the fighting would increase drastically if you added ladies... unless you add A LOT of ladies. So I'd just stick with what you have right now and keep an eye on them.

Females can see them off. I have a mallard that the boys freak out over when she walks by. Water can do it too. I have 2 brothers who fight only in the pool!

Back
Top Bottom