Drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ACDKMT, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ACDKMT

ACDKMT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    CA
    I've had 2 drakes for 8 months now since they hatched and they have always been the best of friends. However, 2 months ago my younger drake (a Pekin at 7 months old) started getting very aggressive and now he attacks my oldest (a Muscovy) every time they see each other. I can't keep them together at all any more how do I get my Pekin to be nice, or is this because mating season is coming? Also my gf has a female Muscovy that attacks all animals except for my Muscovy. She does peck his beak a little bit every now and then but has stopped for 2 weeks now. My Pekin tried mating with her and was successful, but now the female trys attacking my Pekin every time they go in the pond. Then my male Muscovy gets along with every living thing and insists on going over to the Pekin knowing he pecks him every time. What can I do to get all the ducks to like each other again?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So your saying you have 2 drakes and 1 duck? bad ratio, drakes will fight if there is a duck around and ducks can become over bred and even killed by over amorous drakes, 2 things more ducks to bal out the drake to duck ratio or find a home for 1 drake. it's best to have at least 3-4 ducks per drake and possibly even when mating season is over they will not be buds again.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree with Miss Lydia's advice.

Ducks are not a species that you can reason with and explain that they should be nice. They are going on instinct which tells them another male is a rival. Your best options will be to either get 8-12 females or rehome one. Sorry but thats just the way it is.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Hang in there. There are seasons of duck care when the balance gets out of whack and you need to make adjustments. I hope you can add some girls and get things sorted out. You may, in the meantime, need to have some kind of divider fence. Depends on how aggressive the ducks are. Even when they are being disagreeable, each one needs your protection.

5. ACDKMT

Feb 23, 2013
    CA
    I understand that males fight but thething is when theyre together n im there they don't fight. Actually the muscovy never fights he just wants to be buddy buddy, the second I put him in the same area as the pekin he runs over in excitement and sits next to time. and again this just started way before the female was introduced to them.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like your Pekin is your dominate drake. i have one of those, I only have Muscovy but one of mine is the boss of my other 2 and my gander and will not tolerate any of them having anything to do with the ducks. Once male hormones kick in all bets are off that 2 drakes are going to continue to get along, If theres a female present, and probably if not because the sex drive is very strong in drakes and from all i read Very strong in Pekins, Mating behavior can be rough and possibly your seeing some of it with your Pekin acting out on your Muscovy. You may even see mating behavior in the pool or pond between your 2 drakes. Sorry wish i could see them in person maybe it would help more.

7. ACDKMT

Feb 23, 2013
    CA
    yea when theyre in water together my pekin trys to "mate" with my boy muscovy, actually he trys that with anything thats moving in the water.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very Typical. [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    ML, has pretty much said it all. I have two drakes(both Muscovy) they are ok when free ranging but at night they are housed separately and at the moment with most of the fenced area un-walkable it's not helping them get on.

10. ACDKMT

Feb 23, 2013
    CA
    Well i dont have a big living area for them right now. Im moving in a new house soon tho with a big yard will changing the size of their yard help or at least to where he wont attack? The new house will have a 3x bigger living area for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by