Drama In The Hen House

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by two early, Aug 3, 2011.

1. two early

two early Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    One orp gone broody, one polish ruling the house with iron hand (foot), and a rooster who wants to kill me....HELP! Put the orp in the broody buster, but
    the polish goes over to her and tries to peck her thru the cage wire. When I let her out to stretch her legs, the polish attacks her. The rooster and the polish tag-teamed her when I let her out yesterday. It was a screaming, feather-flying fight. (The orp then went and pecked the dog, just because....)
    If I have to pick up any of the hens, the rooster charges me, with the polish not far behind. I told my husband, if he can't find me, check the chicken coop where I'll be laying on the ground being slowly pecked to death by them all.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Get rid of the rooster for starters. That might calm down the polish some.

(If not, give her away and go find the Orpington some fertile eggs and start over.)

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OMG! You wrote that so well! It made me laugh! But that is so frustrating, Isn't it? I hope things calm down for you. They will, trust me.

You might want to just keep a rolled up newspaper in your hand when you go out to the coop. Give that rooster a hard slap on the head with it and chase him a bit. I've had to do that with an agressive roo before.

Eventually, I got rid of him, because after all, I bought the chickens to be a hobby I could enjoy.

4. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    [​IMG] Love how the orp then pecked the dog! I can picture that at my house!

Sounds like you have a madhouse over there. I'd have to agree to either ditch the roo or separate everyone for a time out. Then pour yourself a glass of whatever works and enjoy your status as lord over all.

5. two early

Mar 21, 2011
    The drama has ended and all is right in Hen Town today! The broody orp put up a good fight but after 3 days the Broody Buster crate won out.
    The polish hen (Gavorta) spent a few hours in lock-up herself with all her faithful groupies staring at her thru the bars in disbelief. She has showed some contrition today. The roo is strutting high with all his girls back with him. A happy ending (until the next drama). Thanks for all the info on broody busting and mean girl treatment....IT WORKS!

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:I like tour style.

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    EVERYONE needs a TIMEOUT!!!! ... in the freezer [​IMG]

.......oh except the dog..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. mrsteiner

mrsteiner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Davison, MI
    Oh, please tell me what a Broody Buster is? Did you make it or buy it? My hens are still young, but I'm guessing I might need one eventually. I love its name!

9. two early

Mar 21, 2011
    After a visit to the pet store, seeing that a small cage cost almost 50 bucks, i decided to use a wire crate we had for the puppy...pretty large crate....so i just put in a branch perch, a small waterer and a bowl of layer pellets. I raised it up on a few 2x4's, slid some frozen sheets of ice under it (helps to bring down the temperature of the under parts that rise for keeping those eggs warm) and kept her in there for 3 days, replacing the ice twice a day. She was let out for about 30 minutes to an hour twice a day to hang out with her henny sisters, but as soon as she made a beeline back to the nesting box, I'd come and scoop her up (with gloves), fight off the rooster (he was not happy about me picking up his girls) and put her back in the clinker. Each day she would stay out a little bit longer, resisting the temptation of the nest, until on the 4th morning I let her out in the run and checked on her periodically, and she was hanging out with the others. I was so happy to have that broodiness busted.... and that cage served as a mean girl jail too. I'd like to use it for the rooster, but I'd need combat gear to catch him. Any kinda of cage will do, just no nesting material in it

10. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by