Dramamine For Dogs Dosage,Please...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have a young dog that still gets VERY very car sick. Like puking all over the car even if we just take a 10 minute ride... she just pukes and pukes with no let up.

Soo... heres my delima... We have to take her to Maine this weekend.(dont have a dog sitter..)
    Its a 4 hour drive. It aint gonna be pretty.
    And i'm worried about her getting so ill it will be dangerous for her.
    When she was a pup the vet suggested Dramamine or Benadryl..
    WHich would work better and how much do i give he? I dont even know her weight anymore.... dont have a scale big enough here to weigh her on.
    I know shes gotta be over 50lbs already...
    Thanks for any help..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:My 80 lb. Lab gets 2 Benadryl with his dinner. He has the Lab itchies thing. [​IMG]

I say start with one and see what happens, but the easiest way is to NOT feed her after 9 PM the night before the trip and nothing in the morning. Limit the water, too. Just like when they're going in for surgery.

Have fun, hope you have a great time. [​IMG]

Ranchy-still waiting for lobster......

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks Ranchy...
    So i should try Benadryl instead?? What would work better for her car sickness?

And i'm working on getting ya some lobsters, my friend ... [​IMG]

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    And also, Will the one dose of the med be enough to get her through the whole 4 hr ride? Or will i need to re-dose??
    WHY do i have to have a car sick dog!!? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If her stomach is empty it won't be an issue. Then she won't need a pill, unless you want her to be sleepy. You do want her to have water, but look at it this way. If she were having surgery? The vet would tell you to not feed after the dinner the night before and stop the water at midnight. SOP for a clinic, and I never saw a dog suffer for it. You can give her a little water if you want, but wait until you're well on your way.

If you do dose her, just to make her sleepy, I'd say one pill, about 30 minutes before leaving. Benadryl lasts longer than 4 hours, despite what the package says.

Lots of younger dogs get car sick. The key is to not have her tummy full. My Tiger got sick every time we crossed a bridge. And we live in the land of bridges. Now that he's 4, it's no longer an issue. So the good news is that Ginger will probably grow out of it! [​IMG]

One of these days, after I win the lottery I never play, I'm going to come GET my lobster!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We had a show dog that get car sick, my Dad and Mom fed the dog peppermint. Calms them down and they enjoyed them.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks again!
    I have tried to ride with her on an empty stomach....
    She STILL flippin pukes.... its just stomach liquids... but she'll just heave and heave until we stop.
    Poor thing. [​IMG]
    I've never had a dog like this... *just MY luck* [​IMG]

I really need a dog sitter... [​IMG]

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] Good idea.. One for the dog..one for me.. [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Have you tried crating her while in the car? Giving her a safe hiding spot where she can't see out? [​IMG]

10. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Call the vet. They can tell you exactly how many mg per kg to give your dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by