Drastic temperature change

Edin

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
Hello,

I am located in Corrales NM and out temps have been in the night 90’s to the low 100’s. Then all of a sudden we had a cold front and the last night or two have been down in the thirties and then in the 40’s all day. I know this is not normally alarming for chickens but I’m more worried about the drastic change in temperature. What can you do to keep your chickens warm if it’s just a random cold front. They seem very cold today and I want to keep them warm tonight without wintering my coop yet because it will be back in the 80’s later in the week. Any ideas would be great.

I'm in Southern Colorado, about an hour NW of Trinidad, at an elevation of almost 9k feet. We've had wind and snow for the past two days, with highs well below freezing. The girls have spent most of their time in the coop.

Today was high of 40ish and no wind. Snow melting quite a bit, so the run is a soggy mess. But, the girls have spent most time outside the coop.

If yours can stay in the coop or have protection from the elements, they should be fine. I do plan on putting plastic around the run soon (this weekend maybe), as our winter weather comes sooner than other areas.

Northern Colorado here. Just a mile high so we had similar swings to the OP.

Our overnight lows were certainly a shock after extended record highs.

While most birds will come through such swings in good shape the old, sickly or young are at more risk.
As long as they have a dry area that is well ventilated while not allowing a breeze/draft/or whipping wind on the roosts most will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom