Drawbacks to Showing Chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NateinFL, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I think this year I will be showing my mille fleur d'uccles at the state fair. My biggest concern (besides someone stealing my birds) is that they might catch something contagious and bring it back to my flock. My birds are part of a closed flock and are very healthy, I would hate to bring a bird back from the fair and have some weird disease pop up in my stock. That would be devastating.

I also read in some literature that it is advisable to put your bird through quarantine as if it is a new bird once it comes back from the fair, not letting it come in contact with the flock for a good amount of time.

For those who have shown, is this necessary, and have you ever had any negative experiences in showing birds?

Please advise.

Thanks!

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Yes Quarentine is always a good Idea after a show [​IMG]

Many people do & some don't.

plain & simple

Some flocks are exposed to certain diseases, than others.

& you don't want to bring anything back [​IMG]

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    our county fair was quarentened one year

4. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Wow that must have been some disease that popped up, that would have been a shame if they had to cull them all!

I'm afraid to ask but it seems so easy for someone to just take a chicken out of a cage, I have seen locks on some so if I do show I'll make sure and get a lock put on the cage.

If I had a big enough operation going on, I would do as some of the professionals do and use some of the best set aside for showing purposes. A large operation should have enough good birds to spare for show and use others for breeders. I'm not quite there yet [​IMG]

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i show my breeding stock on the off season

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    u live in florada so u can start hatching in the winter and spring take summer off grow out chicks and get older bird in shape

7. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Right, the fair is in January, so I will have time to work with some that hatched last month. Since the d'uccles are slow to fully develop, I have some from last fall that would probably do well in January, just going to see who looks best by then.

8. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if the shows in january and u want bird that are at least 6months or older

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    see in michigan we have hatch in january to have babies for the fall shows but i dont use my show bird as breeders during the show season

10. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Yeah I know, the mille fleur roos take a LONG time to spangle out nicely, so 8 months would probably be a minimum, at least from my experiences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by