Drawing on hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oEch0o, Apr 6, 2017.

1. oEch0o

oEch0o Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    The title explains it fairly well I think. I just want to know if it would be ok to draw faces or small simple things on eggs that I plan to put in the incubator. This is trial run 2, first had no survivors due to human error...

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I don't see why not. I mark all of my eggs with numbers/breeds before they go in. If they're going in an incubator, use a pencil.

3. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    Ok thanks! I've always marked them, but I didn't know if how much I marked on them affected them and I didn't want to risk it without asking[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I set eggs under a broody in the flock, I draw all the way around the egg about 3 times with a Sharpie [​IMG]

This lets be easily and clearly see which eggs are for her to incubate. When I keep a broody with the flock, she tends to collect the other hens' eggs and I have to pull them out every day or so. Marking the desired eggs in this manner makes it easy to tell which are leavers and which are takers.

I've never had two headed chicks hatch [​IMG]

5. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    Well I wanted to draw on them today and I only had 30 minutes so this is what happened (keep in mind that I'm not a professional please[​IMG])

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd like to point out that the second tiny egg was drawn by my cousin !!special recognition!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by