Dreaded Divinity! Someone HELP me please!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 2, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I am a pretty good cook. I can cook really fancy foods and come up with great food ideas. I did catering for several years until I had no time for it anymore. I can cook just about anything and hardly ever even need a recipe but I can not make divinity!! I have tried a hundred times over the past couple years and only once it came close. It set up on the outside but the middle insides were still a bit gooey. Most of the time it just falls into this sticky glop. Bless my husbands heart, he will eat every bite of the gloppity goo with a spoon [​IMG] He loves divinity! He says it always tastes really good but it just never hardens.

Someone please give me a good fool proof recipe or help me out...I would like to make my husband a good batch at least once [​IMG]

2. ChknLvnFam

ChknLvnFam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Watch your humidity is what I always hear.

funny story about divinity:

My uncle was at my grandma's for the holidays and we had brought down some divinity. A few weeks after we'd left and the divinity was long gone, he was walking through the living room and looked up at the top of the book case. He spotted something white and crumbly, he greedily snatches it up, takes a big bite and discovers what deodorant tastes like.

3. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    LOL That was funny!

It is always humid here. Seems like every day is a humid day.

The recipe calls for water, should I just leave water out all together and try one? I haven't done that yet but it has crossed my mind.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I used to help Mom make it- and on humid days, she wouldn't even try. Once air conditioning came along, she would run it for several days to dry out the house and then make fabulous divinity! We always pulled taffy the same day. And made fudge!

Sheesh, talk about dating yourself! We got AC when I was about 10, and even then it was 3 honkin' big window units! [​IMG]

6. ChknLvnFam

ChknLvnFam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I'd just about bet it's your humidity then. We usually make it around christmas. Cold usually equals dry around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by