Dreaded muddy-puddle pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by VolailleAmant, Oct 8, 2016.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Good Morning[​IMG]
    I have a question on muddy chicken-pens-
    The biggest cause is probably all of the rain that Michigan has been getting because of hurricane Matthew, but does any one know a good way to help the drying process of a muddy/wet pen speed up?
    I am the kind of person that likes to keep things clean and tidy.....And this situation is a problem for me. Also for the appearance of the pen! [​IMG]
    Please excuse my dog playing with her favorite hen, but this is what the pen looks like ( I wish I could get some greenery, but the ducks and turkeys eat and trample all of the greens )
    Thank you, and please share your ideas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

landscaping sand should fill that in nicely. It will still get wet but not be so dirty and after a while it will become for compacted for the water resistance - I think. Maybe someone will refute this answer but . . . . you will be getting more responses anyway. put some piles of it in there in an area to try it out. let the hens scratch it around for fun. then rake it out for consistency so that it lays even.

3. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    How much does it usually cost?
    Thank you for your advise Ivie!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  5. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you. The sun is coming out and drying the small puddles.....I will try to steal some sand from my brothers sandbox...[​IMG] I am sure they will allow me.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually advise what worked for me.

Lots of free wood chips, like 8 to 12 inches deep to start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by