Dream Catchers?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Anyone on here make home made dream catchers?
    Or just love to collect them?

I love them and have around 20 in my room.
    If you make them,

What feathers do you use?
    Mind sharing some photos?
    Care to give some instructions to some of us who are interested in learning?

2. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I do sometimes make them, and use red willow twigs to make the hoops. Don't like the metal rings and rawhide strips, too commercial looking. I dampen the twigs, gathered in the fall while they are red, and while damp I ease them into various sized cans (coffee, soup, etc) to shape them. Some I let the twig decide the shape. I use the artificial sinew that you can get at the craft store to weave the web, and like to decorate with porcupine quills, beads and various feathers. Whatever I can find, sometimes big ones, sometimes small ones. I thought that I had some that I could take pix of, but have given all away. I'll try to remember to make a few to show you.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I make them also!

I'm with curliet, I don't like the metal hoops and rawhide, either.

I use either weeping willow (from a friends' tree), trumpet or honey suckle vines (gathered from our yard). I usually form the "hoops" while the material is still green or soak them to make them more pliable.

I also use arftifical sinew for the web and use pretty much whatever I have on hand for decorations...feathers, bone beads, wooden beads, gemstones beads or locally collected crinoids and occassionaly will add wire wrapped gemstones.

Will get some pix tomorrow and post back here of atleast 1 that I know I have. Most of the ones that I make, I give away as gifts.

Dawn

4. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here is a pic of one that I made for Skip, back when he was working with friends of ours who had a band. He was having bad dreams while "out on the road", so I made him a traveling dream catcher. It's only about 10" total.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of a larger hoop that I still need to do the weave on, I used Skip's dc for size comparison. I'll take pix of how I do my weaves when I work on the large one and post them here, if anyone else hasn't yet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dawn

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I believe SPOTTEDCROW does.. she might have a link in her sig line or something to her little store.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I might have to try the willow ones.

What other kind of wood can you use?
    We have weeping willows around here as well as this vine that attaches itself to EVERYTHING and grows of of it. Ive made one with that before.

But other than those im not sure what else I could use for the frame. We also have a ... well its a weird tree thats got some very long limber branches. ill try to find a picture of it.

7. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Other types of wood that I've read you can use are pine, cedar, birch and ash.

I have alot of redbud suckers/offshoots from our main tree that I am going to try using, just to see if they'll work, since they are thin and straight with little to no branches.

Dawn

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes I make them out of willow and grape vine. I use feathers from all types of birds, trade beads and etc. I use sinew for the webbing. I also make one from a turtle shell. I do not have pics online...[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  9. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Cetawin,

Wish you had pictures on-line, I'd love to see the turtle shell dream catcher.

Here's a link that shows how to do make the hoop and weave the web: How to make Dream Catchers.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by