Dream Chicken - Giant, Polka Dot Easter Egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mervin, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    That's right, I have officially gone off the rails on a crazy train. To all the genetics experts, or least those of you who know more than I (basically everyone), I'd like to know your thoughts on putting the Silver Spangled pattern onto a relatively large fowl (or gigantic like a Jersey or Langshan) with blue egg genes. The horned comb and crest of a Spitzhauben would be cool, but small/absent wattles and muffs would be required. Beards would be cool too.

I'm sure a lot of folks will be horrified by this idea, none the less, I'm still interested in hearing folks' opinion on how one might work toward creating a giant, polka dot easter egger.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm trying to visualize what that would look like. Would there be a market for that cross? Maybe do this...

Silver Spangled Hamburg (or Spitzhauben) over Light Colored EE
    Take offspring with the most spangles and cross them back to the Hamburg (or Spitzhauben)

With the first generation, you will most likely get olive colored eggs.

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG] TOTALLY waiting to hear on this one!

4. Mervin

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:I don't really think there'd be a market, but it's an entirely selfish desire. I'm curious b/c I would want them.

Quote:This is what I'd think too. I was thinking a Spitz over a White Ameraucana and then back to the Spitz. I plugged that into the Chicken Calculator, but it showed all black unicolor for F1 (crossing it back anyway produced silver spangled). I suppose I could breed up for size after getting the spangling stablized. Any suggestions for other light colors that may work? I have an EE thats sort of lavender/gray with a salmon chest and head.

Quote:Why olive? Spitz and Hamburg are white egg layers. I probably don't understand how the blue gene works, but I thought a blue-egg gene and a brown-egg layer made olive eggers.

5. caveman

caveman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Hawaii
    The blue egg gene is fairly dominant and can be introduced at any time in the "production cycle". If I were you, I would focus on trying to get the large size and color pattern first, then introduce the egg color into the equation later. You will probably lose a little of the size when you cross with the EE, but selective breeding after that should get your size back up to where you want it.

6. Mervin

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:I wonder how well a Spitz (rather small) could mate a large bird like WJG, WR or RIW? The muffs are an important part of the EE for me too though. It's not just about the blue-egg gene.

7. Mervin

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Would trying to put the silver spangled pattern on something like a light sussex or light brahma work for a start?

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Liiiike this?
    [​IMG]

or this?
    [​IMG]

only with chippy-cheeks like this?
    [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The OP means spangled like Hamburgs, not mottled. [​IMG]

I would say for a starter choose the largest stock or a large cull Ameraucana of silver (duckwing) or Wheaten color. Then, try a breed/color like Silver Laced Polish. But choose the largest. It will take a while before you get the large size you want though. The Polish will keep the beard, silver coloring, blue egg, and slate legs. It will also offer the spangling when you cross it. The Ameraucana will offer a better base color to work with (don't do white or black) plus the blue egg gene and the basic Easter Egger look.

Another, faster approach with getting size is by using show quality Silver Laced Wyandottes, and working from there with Ameraucanas (Silvers are best) but you'll need to make sure you keep the greens and blues around in future generations, not brown. Then after you get that going, add Polish for the V comb.

There are different approaches, all of them with set backs and all of them will take a while. Hamburgs aren't a good approach because they're a small breed, already spangled (which will dilute the color down in outcrossings while silver laced will dilute down to silver spangled in outcrossings) and have rose combs. They'll make ugly walnut combed offspring at first, which so will Wyandottes, but at least the Wyandotte crosses will give good size.

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Oooo those look nice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by