dream chicken is rare?!?

Katzinthehat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
We are planning on getting jersey giants this spring; however, as writen on this website ->(http://www.mypetchicken.com/default.aspx) jersey giants are acctually rare chickens. Too bad for my father, who claims that JGs are his dream birds
hit.gif
are they really rare, or does that only apply to certain areas (or something along those lines) ??????

Last edited:
Maybe rare for the person writing the article...Many hatcheries and breeders have jersey giants...even white jersey giants.

They are probably not as common as a RIR but they are not ubber hard to find.

What the writer of the article probably meant was the exhibition variety. Black Jersey Giants, the ones for exhibition, are rare. Very few people raise them and, unfortunately, the ones that do will not sell them. These come from the Miller strain and after that the Alexander strain.

I've got 2 Black JG coming in my order from Ideal at the end of January but the White JG are considered rare and were showing as "out of season" and would've taken longer to get them so I didn't
hmm.png

Last edited:
A lot of breeds are considered rare due to the number of recognized (exhibition) breeders and the size of their flocks. Somehow though, the big hatcheries manage to fill all the orders for them (quality isn't their concern). If your dad dreams about raising/keeping JGs, it's probably worth it to find a breeder who's trying to breed to the standard.

I know someone who just got a flock of exhibition quality breeder prospects from a nationally known exibitor. The pullets are not laying yet, but will be in the spring. These are straight black, no off colors in this line, so if you wanted blue or splash or white, these are not those kinds of birds. If you want straight black, LARGE birds from top exhibitor breeder lines, PM me and I will pass your contact info on to the owner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom