Dream Chicks in Minnesota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CarlyChick, Mar 5, 2013.

1. CarlyChick

CarlyChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hey!
    I'm Carly and I live just outside of Minneapolis with my family (husband, 7yo son, 4yo daughter) and our new chickens! I have adored chickens since I was a little girl, so getting them has been a huge dream for me. My family is pretty excited too. We're lucky that urban farming is very popular in our area, and our city is incredibly welcoming to backyard chickens.

Our Chicks: our girls are just babies, we have Sharona the Ameraucana (she's very friendly and cuddly), Amy the Rhode Island Red (she and my son have a special bond already), Jack the Orpington (girl chicken, named after Jack the bulldog in the little house series that my 4yo daughter is very into right now), and we're getting a Barred Rock this week (the shipment messed up, so that girl is coming late).

We have a good-sized backyard, and are looking forward to converting the kids' sandbox into a chicken garden for the girls to snack on (in addition to our good-sized vegetable garden).

Right now the girls are a little skittish, and run away when we go to pick them up, but settle right down when they're in hand.

Other hobbies: I love to knit and read, but don't have time for much else with two active kids. My husband just finished building a Little Free Library that we will also be installing in our yard this spring. I'm a high school librarian, so I get all summer off to play with my kids and now, the chickens.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] "Sharona" chicken - sounds like you were a Monk fan

3. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Welcome to BYC!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC

I would love to learn to knit .... someday after I retire, maybe :)

Have fun with your new babies and enjoy BYC

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Carly, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck with your chickens! Love the Little Free Library!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. CarlyChick

CarlyChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Thanks y'all!

Our girls are 6 weeks old now, and getting HUGE!! We were able to let them out in the coop for a long afternoon on Sunday when the weather got above 45 . . . however this April snowstorm and overall cold cold cold Minnesota Spring means our girls are still in the brooder in the basement. They're getting very antsy and very ready for their coop. They're starting to fly around the room when they have too much energy, but of course we keep the lid on during the day or anytime we're not in the room with them.

Funny story: On Saturday we brough Amy (the Rhode Island Red) outside for the first time. She immediately crouched, froze in place, then FREAKED out!! She flew to my head (scratching my cheek in the process) then made a mad dash all around the yard, running SMACK into the side of the newly painted coop. . . so now our Rhodie has a bit of a white head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by