Dream Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nickeechickee, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    So since the weather is getting cold there won't be too much fun stuff to do with the birds until spring. So I thought I'd start my wish list of what to order for the new chicks! We are considering trying a few meat breeds this upcoming year as well as layers. I'd also like to add a few pretty birds to my flock and maybe some colored egg layers. We will rotate out the less productive birds to make room for the new babies. The new babies don't need to be super productive as we get enough eggs from the 3 laying birds I have now, but they do need to produce something.

So far my flock has 1 easter egger, 2 barred rocks, 2 white rocks, and 3 unknown red brown egg layers. My EE is pretty plain but she lays a nice green egg.

So far I think I want a couple more EEs (hoping for a blue egg!) and I really want a lavender or blue chicken. I think Polish are adorable too with their head fluff.

What's on your dream flock list?

2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Australop, silkie, orpington and barred rock

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My totally impractical dream flock would have lots of full sized cochins. I think they're just the most beautiful birds! But, I'm in the wet, muddy PNW and they wouldn't be so pretty, they'd be a muddy, miserable mess.

Otherwise I've pretty much got what I want now, a bunch of mixed breed birds in unique colors. The only eye candy I want I haven't had yet is a partridge rock, I may have to order some this spring as none of our local feed stores get them.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

If I had the space, I'd add the following to my existing flock: Barnvelder, Ameraucana, Swedish Flower, Australorp, Jersey Giant, Cream Legbar, Buff Brahma, Jubilee Orpingtons, blue laced, silver laced, and Columbian Wyandottes.

So many beautiful birds, so little space!

5. QueenofKings

QueenofKings Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    United States
    Jersey Giants (beautiful birds!), Silkies and Lemon Orphingtons.
    And of course, more RIR, Goldies and Wyandottes.

6. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I love the mixed flock I have now! I have a RSL, a wheaten maran, a black cochin, a silkie, and a weird looking EE. I am still deciding what I want to order for next year. I am going to order a couple for egg production (while leghorns). And I want something that is multicolored and fun to go with them! Chickens are so much fun.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well as long as we're dreaming, where money is no object......Pure bred Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans.

8. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    Spitzhauben
    Sebright
    Brabanter
    Light Sussex
    Hamburg
    Millie Fleur D' Uccle
    Wyandottes

Bresse for meat birds
    Jersey Giants for meat birds

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I already have one of my dream flock(s), my lovely little b/b/s Silkies. In the Spring I hope to get some chicks to start my second- Le Fleche. They're a non-setting, dual purpose breed, so the opposite of my Silkies (which will handle the job of hatching their eggs [​IMG]).

10. alibraun

alibraun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    have EEs,Black Jersey Giant,BR
    Want Guineas,turkeys,ducks,peafowl,bantys and more EEs, I not sure yet as what kind of duck turkey or peafowl.Hubby thinks I lost it, muhahaha!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by