1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dreamcatchers anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Mary Of Exeter, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Here's some tiny ones I've made:
    [​IMG]
    They're fun to make [​IMG]
    It'd be even better if I could sell them, but I doubt anyone would want one. They're about the width of a bottle cap. Would probably make a nice ornament for rear view mirrors though.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I make dream catchers but I haven't made the little ones in a long time. I used to make the ones that size and put key rings on them and sell them. I love yours, they are very nice.

3. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    What do you use for the rings?

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Ooh, this would be fun for my cubscouts to do! What materials do you use?

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I haven't made dreamcatchers in a long long while. I once made one that was 2 foot diameter.

materials I used were - cotton or waxed string to wrap the hoop - sinew for the webbing - feathers, beads, shells and other stuff to put in or on the webbing.

an Ojibwa friend of mine once had me make one for his wife for Christmas - it was black and silver and had hawk feathers on it. Turned out very nice, if I do say so myself [​IMG]

meri

6. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:It's lots of fun and doesn't take very long at all [​IMG]
    You know those rings around plastic soda bottles, under the cap? I push those off to use, which is great because they're always around the house [​IMG] I use yarn to wrap around those rings, which the bigger the yarn/string, the less time it will take to cover it all up (plus save your hands from hurting, haha). For the star in the middle, I just use some old cotton string that we had laying around. Any string or thin yarn would make a good pattern for the center though. And of course more string, some beads, and feathers for the tail! [​IMG]

I like the idea of making them into keychains!

7. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Mojo Chick'n :

I haven't made dreamcatchers in a long long while. I once made one that was 2 foot diameter.

materials I used were - cotton or waxed string to wrap the hoop - sinew for the webbing - feathers, beads, shells and other stuff to put in or on the webbing.

an Ojibwa friend of mine once had me make one for his wife for Christmas - it was black and silver and had hawk feathers on it. Turned out very nice, if I do say so myself [​IMG]

meri

Oh wow, that's a big dreamcatcher! I have one that's probably about a foot in diameter. The hoop was made out of a wire coat hanger because I couldn't find anything else [​IMG] That was a pain in the neck to bend into a circle. Next time I make a big one, I'm finding something else to use, LOL.​

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I love dream catchers, i was going to make a really huge one for the liveing room wall, useing all the real feathers i gather from my flock and others.

How much do you sell those at?

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Oh wow, that's a big dreamcatcher! I have one that's probably about a foot in diameter. The hoop was made out of a wire coat hanger because I couldn't find anything else [​IMG] That was a pain in the neck to bend into a circle. Next time I make a big one, I'm finding something else to use, LOL.

I like using embroidery hoops - the part without the screw on it - they work great. You can pick them up at yard sales quite often for cheap, too.

that huge one took me forever to wrap the hoop with string - talk about arm cramps [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  10. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:That would be pretty neat [​IMG] A great use for all the kazillion feathers that fly around at moulting time [​IMG] I couldn't imagine having to wrap string and stuff around anything bigger than what I've attempted though. Sounds painful!

Where you asking how much I'd sell my dream catchers for, or something/someone else?

I have yet to figure out how much I'll ask for mine. A dollar maybe. I mean, they're kinda tiny for dreamcatchers...but then again I did make them and I do take my time on each one. Hmmm. I suck at pricing my own things [​IMG] Maybe some advice from you guys?
    I think I'll go find some key rings (I'm sure I have lots of unused key chains laying around) and put them on a few new ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by