Dreaming of Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tarahtt, Feb 21, 2014.

1. tarahtt

tarahtt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    Last year I got the crazy idea of bringing chickens to my back yard. I have a small, enclosed, organic garden...and I live in the city. I went back and forth on the idea, researched breeds, but decided that they would cause more damage than would be worth their help with garden pest control. Now I am thinking of housing them away from the garden, and placing tunnels through the garden they could run through. I would hope I can even let them run around the yard while supervised? And train them to go back to their coop with fruit? Or have a 10x4 mobile enclosure to move around the yard along with their shelter. I am only planning on 2-4 hens for egg laying and garden pals. I may not even be ready until next year...so many options! So far the Wyandotte (Silver laced), Ameraucana (Or Easter Egger), and Silkies have caught my attention.

I also have 3 boys, a baby girl, a golden retriever, and 2 rabbits. The Golden retriever lets the rabbits snuggle up to her, and won't be left alone with the smaller animals.

So, that is my situation in a nutshell...

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a full house [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Other people have made the tunnels for chickens and it works well. They figure it out sooner or later. Also at the end of the growing season they turn their chickens loose in the veggie garden and they do better tilling than a machine.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I hope you get your new flock soon!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  6. lesliesroberts

lesliesroberts New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Dear "Dreaming",

I have three Silver Laced Wyandottes and two Black Sex Links. The Wyandottes are so very sweet and pleasant; plus they are really beautiful. You won't regret having chickens in your backyard - I can't believe I waited this long to start. They are amusing, charming and you will have the most delicious eggs you have ever tasted! Don't wait!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] .

I've heard Silkies don't do much damage in the garden. Don't eat a lot of the good fruits off your plants or anything but do eat the bugs. I'm planning on trying them out this summer. A friend of mine raises them. So I'll have my egg layers and my Silkies.

Whatever you choose Good Luck and Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  8. tarahtt

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    Thanks! Let me know how your silkies do :)

9. tarahtt

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    Thank You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by