Dreaming of raising quail in my tiny urban backyard...eggs.....but meat??!

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
So....it’s the middle of the night.....ok this sounds weird, but I’ve basically watched a dozen or so quail butchering videos...I’m going crazy in quarantine...

I’ve only had chickens for 6 months! I dove in head first and don’t regret it! I currently have 3 bantam hens, an (illegal) sweet (but loud) little roo (will be rehomed), and 7 chicks. They are soooo cute!

I got into all of this stuff pretty quickly! I started watching some homesteading channels...this sounds dramatic, but it might’ve changed my life! Because, not only am I obsessed with chickens and gardening, but I want a mini hobby farm when I grow up! I don’t even think it’ll happen. But it’s so cool to explore!

Idk how long I’ve been wondering, but I want quail...! Now, to put this in context:

-I already have chickens
-I’m in lockdown
-all of my money is spent on chickens lol
-my parents are supportive, but not into this thing I’m obsessed with...
-boi, i’m a kid. 🤦🏻‍♀️

HOWEVER:

-even though my parents are not animal lovers, I SOMEHOW manages to convince them in chickens. In a WEEK. I don’t even know how that happened!!!
-I already have a suitable habitat...it’s a second hand mini coop, very small, but so are quail!! We’re talking 60cm x 180cm?? Plus a sleeping and nesting area! It’s made of hardware/aviary mesh, I can add a predator apron.
-already have small feeders
-so basically all I need is food, and the quail themselves!

So yeah...probs not gonna happen anytime soon >;3

Also, I tried quail eggs before, they were quite nice! I haven’t tried quail meat though!

Now for section two of this post lol

Meat..?

So...I love animals...never killed one. Quail are adorable ;-;

My big disadvantages:

-Never killed anything
-Quail are cuteeee
-Don’t really know anyone to help me?? Like learning from a friend would be amazing!
-A little squeamish? Not excessively.
-Nerve twitches would probably freak me out.
-Is my family seriously gonna let me do this?? Like, NO!
-TBH I’d probably get attached 🤦🏻‍♀️
-Better not mention this to my family, they’ll think I’m phyco
-I’ll probably wake up in the morning and think “no, why would I want to butcher quail?”
-Ok but killing something?!
-oh non no no no killing something
-omg killing something
-I know a lot of people are used to killing things, not me. Like I’ve gone fishing before, obviously that fish dies because of me, but I dint DIRECTLY kill it. Also fish are so different..,
-life is such a precious and weird thing, taking it is so significant
-ahhhh wth

Good things:

-I’m pretty determined, Willing to try new things
-Excess males would probably need to be culled...
-I LOVE food. Homegrown meat would be an absolute first! Butchering is sad, but I think it’s good to know where it comes from! I know what goes into my food, I know it had a happy life.
-HOMEGROWN MEAT WAO WAO WOWOWOWOOW THAT WOULD CHANGE MY LIFE WOAH WAOW WEOW

I’ve mentioned I might grow my own meat when I grow up to my family, they laugh. It is pretty unbelievable. Don’t know how is do it, but I’m determined to look into it! I love research! I’m -2357% ready to butcher a chicken, even though quails are adorable, chickens are just another level, more space, more equipment, more work , more time, and it would be WAY harder emotionally!! Also, I live in a tiny backyard! I’m definetely NEVER raising anything for meat like that, even quail is extremely unlikely.

I think killing it would be the hardest part...once it’s cleaned up I’d be relived. I don’t actually know if I’ll be able to butcher something...wonder if I’ll ever find out? Attending someone else’s processing day would be very helpful! But, idk anyone... while I’m a little squeamish, I think i would be able to process it ok.

Btw, I’m thinking a flock of 7-12?? I have a pretty small, 10 x 10m sort of backyard, in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.

There is so much against me...mainly my family not wanting to, and me being a kid who has no idea what to do! Also, killing something...I think in theory I could do it...eventually....it would take some mental preparation! I don’t think I’d raise them specifically for meat, but If some are gonna have to be put down anyway, even if it’s hard, I feel like I’d honour that life more by making use of it? I guess it’s the “if you die would you rather be used?” Because, some people would go; “what bruh no, I don’t want to be eaten/used” or; “I’m dead anyway, might as well be if use”

🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🐣🐣🐣😓😓😓😢😢😢🥺🥺🥺🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️😅😅😅😕🙃🙃🙃😳😳😳🥵🥵🥵😱😱😱😪😪😪 ok that’s way too many emojis for sure...

Anyways there’s my rant. I reallyyyyy need to sleep to endure double engineering tomorrow...

Lemme know if you care! I’d love to hear your stuff....idk, opinion? Experiences?

Ty for reading guys ♥

Quailiens I wish! Maybe one day...🥺

Ps. Please don’t tell me if you shouldn’t do it because you’re clearly not cut out for it. I don’t care. I’m exploring possibilities, it’s very out of my comfort zone, but I want to learn to grow my own food! Also no crazy vegans XD, THIS IS A SITE ABOUT RAISING POULTRY LOL! Obviously there aren’t any 😂😂😂

Last edited:
The people on this forum are all very non- judgemental and supportive, even in giving support for butchering to someone new.

I was about your age when I got into growing my own food and made a decision that I'd like to raise my own meat because I will of known the animal was loved and well taken care of. 15 years later I did my first butchering of one of my excess quail males. It was honestly a weird kind of sad, I don't know how to describe it. I told myself beforehand that he had a good life and was well taken care of, and before the butcher thanked him for giving his body for my nourishment. I decided to pluck, and once I got about 1/4 of the feathers off my brain switched from "this is an animal I knew" to "this is clearly food". After that point everything was easy going.

I wish you luck on your homesteading journey, it is very fulfilling.

The people on this forum are all very non- judgemental and supportive, even in giving support for butchering to someone new.

I was about your age when I got into growing my own food and made a decision that I'd like to raise my own meat because I will of known the animal was loved and well taken care of. 15 years later I did my first butchering of one of my excess quail males. It was honestly a weird kind of sad, I don't know how to describe it. I told myself beforehand that he had a good life and was well taken care of, and before the butcher thanked him for giving his body for my nourishment. I decided to pluck, and once I got about 1/4 of the feathers off my brain switched from "this is an animal I knew" to "this is clearly food". After that point everything was easy going.

I wish you luck on your homesteading journey, it is very fulfilling.
Tysm, it’s a weird dream that may never happen, but for now I will enjoy. My main obstacles are my current situation, my parents are the best, but I expect them to think I’m crazy. I literally can’t imagine them letting me or helping me raise meat. They just aren’t that type, idk. It would be a dream though.

How long have you had chickens? I've personally had chickens for 10 years and this year I finally got quail. They're.... different. Flighty and if you leave a door unlatched, they will get out and you'll never get them back.

But quail might be easier for your size to learn how to butcher. They're small and it doesn't take much. I was your age when I started butchering our meat rabbits. Once you get past the pet aspect, it's truly not that hard. It helps when you know that it's either eat or be thrown out with extra males

Tysm, it’s a weird dream that may never happen, but for now I will enjoy. My main obstacles are my current situation, my parents are the best, but I expect them to think I’m crazy. I literally can’t imagine them letting me or helping me raise meat. They just aren’t that type, idk. It would be a dream though.
It's good to have something to work towards in life, especially in the current times. Maybe you could show your parents its something you're serious about by making it "zero cost" for them. All costs for them will come from your wallet. Offer to do extra chores for extra allowance, maybe you could hatch eggs to sell, or just sell the eggs themselves. If you're taking care of your birds completely I would lean towards they would be more open to the idea, especially since it would be a great way to learn and show responsibility.

The first time I processed some quail I made a big deal of it, took time to mentally prepare myself etc. It was a little difficult but I was able to get over it pretty quickly. The rest of the times I've just looked at it like a chore and haven't really been bothered by it. The one thing that still kinda freaks me.out is the head moving after you cut it off. Anyways work towards your goal and don't become obsessed about the processing part.

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M BACK AHHHHBHHHB C.F. DGVGJJ C.F. RFH

I'm so happy to be here again!!

Thanks for all of your replies!!!

Currently have 3 hens, 7 pullets and 2 baby nuggets we hatched. No quail yet.

I really like to write plans lol, I spent hours writing a quail plan. My mum listened and thought it was very interesting, said that if I could make a business out of it would be really cool, selling eggs. She said that I might be able to do it oneday, but is have to get other things sorted. I hope I will be able to get my life together and get some quail! Maybe In the next few months.

I'll just have to take it how it comes. Will update you if I get them!

Back
Top Bottom