Dreaming of Spring Chickens

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
We've moved back to the hills to pursue more of slow, country life. Here we go!
I grew up in the foothills of the Berkshires in Western Mass. We had chickens for many years, although these were my stepfather's loves, so I only assisted here and there and mostly just watched them run about the yard. When I was a young teen my mother sent me on a days long bus journey to my uncle's, wayyyy up north by the Canadian border. He had a small cabin in absolute middle of no where, seriously, his "driveway" took you about 8 miles from the previous (dirt) road. Completely isolated and off grid, using composte toilets, hauling gallons of water daily, and encountering a curious bear would be a nightmare to most teens, but it completely changed my life! Years later, I still desire to live a simplified life. Perhaps daily water hauling and moss in buckets is a bit much, but there's plenty of ways to lead my family closer to nature and a stronger sense of self reliance. Chickens, chickens are merely the beginning!

I'm a mom of 3 wild beings. Partner to a handsome mechanic. We have a beloved pooch, intended as a therapy dog, for the children, hoping to rescue one more! I'm returning to school for an associate's degree, that'll improve my chances of entering an LPN nursing program. This certainly wasn't my original life plan! Not even the 10th one, but I believe I will find much satisfaction in working with elderly patients. The Mister thinks I'll go ahead on to be an RN so he can retire early (wait til he sees the student loans for that!)
About me I guess?
I hate cooking so much that I order from a kit delivery service to make the whole process easier.
I don't mind canning or baking! I try to can a good supply of things every year, learning more as I go, I'm the only one in my family who's ever attempted so I'm really starting from scratch (haha, punny.)
Our garden last year was a complete failure. Hoping to improve the green thumb. My house plants love the well water here and the overgrown orchard is still ripe with fruit yearly, you'd think the veggies would grow nice too, it's gotta be me!
I've always wanted to learn to play piano. So far, no skills, no piano.
I can knit a zillion times better than I can do my daughter's hair.

Back to chickens, I'm planning on 6 Orpington. Definitely need to gather more info here, especially on a coop.

We've moved back to the hills to pursue more of slow, country life. Here we go!
I grew up in the foothills of the Berkshires in Western Mass. We had chickens for many years, although these were my stepfather's loves, so I only assisted here and there and mostly just watched them run about the yard. When I was a young teen my mother sent me on a days long bus journey to my uncle's, wayyyy up north by the Canadian border. He had a small cabin in absolute middle of no where, seriously, his "driveway" took you about 8 miles from the previous (dirt) road. Completely isolated and off grid, using composte toilets, hauling gallons of water daily, and encountering a curious bear would be a nightmare to most teens, but it completely changed my life! Years later, I still desire to live a simplified life. Perhaps daily water hauling and moss in buckets is a bit much, but there's plenty of ways to lead my family closer to nature and a stronger sense of self reliance. Chickens, chickens are merely the beginning!

I'm a mom of 3 wild beings. Partner to a handsome mechanic. We have a beloved pooch, intended as a therapy dog, for the children, hoping to rescue one more! I'm returning to school for an associate's degree, that'll improve my chances of entering an LPN nursing program. This certainly wasn't my original life plan! Not even the 10th one, but I believe I will find much satisfaction in working with elderly patients. The Mister thinks I'll go ahead on to be an RN so he can retire early (wait til he sees the student loans for that!)
About me I guess?
I hate cooking so much that I order from a kit delivery service to make the whole process easier.
I don't mind canning or baking! I try to can a good supply of things every year, learning more as I go, I'm the only one in my family who's ever attempted so I'm really starting from scratch (haha, punny.)
Our garden last year was a complete failure. Hoping to improve the green thumb. My house plants love the well water here and the overgrown orchard is still ripe with fruit yearly, you'd think the veggies would grow nice too, it's gotta be me!
I've always wanted to learn to play piano. So far, no skills, no piano.
I can knit a zillion times better than I can do my daughter's hair.

Back to chickens, I'm planning on 6 Orpington. Definitely need to gather more info here, especially on a coop.
Blue Welcome.png to Backyard Chickens!

Since you enjoy baking and canning then an instantpot might be up your alley! It is more scientific for cooking and is very easy to use. They make great meals!

Check out the home bakers thread. Lots of great ideas and inspiration on there!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-home-bakers-here.921333/

Back
Top Bottom