Dress Making

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SarahFair, Dec 29, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I saw a dress on a show I kind of fell in love with. I am with limited funds and cant seem to find anything like it online, cheap.

Would it be cheaper to make the dress and get exactly what I want?

I have no sewing machine but think I can get access to one.

I am going to try and explain (with pictures) what I want. If anyone knows of a site with cheap dresses that will be great!

I would like this type material but dont know what its called. Not the stiff kind but soft.
    http://www.cybernetplaza.com/party-dresses/11131.asp

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the top on this one (with the silver clasps). What I like about it is the small defined lines. I dont want it to cross at the bottom though. On the bottom I wish the lines leading up it to be a little more defined and fluffier but not as small as the top.
    http://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD476429

any ideas for me or know of a dress??
    Where and how do I start?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    The material is georgette or chiffon.

The lines are call pin tucks, it's done by sewing them in, and requires percision. I could do them, but it's not an enjoyable thing.

The skirt is called a bubble skirt, it's made by having a second layer underneath the skirt is sewn to to make it fluff. Generally it's a style that makes your hips and tush appear larger.

Have you looked at overstock.com? they have party dresses (search for "cocktail dress", that's the length of this one).

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Kaelyn-Max-Pleated-Dress/4319725/product.html

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Oh I do like that dress (and the price [​IMG] )

I found another I like but its over $100...

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:I bought quite a few dresses there to wear to weddings. If i'm only going to wear it once or twice, it's going to be cheap.

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    That pattern is not hard for a beginner but that fabric would be a nightmare to sew if you are just learning. The gathers are just plain gathers, it is not a pin tuck which does require much more precision. Gathers are super easy, in fact you've probably done them by accident, at some point, when you pulled on a loose thread... [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Have you sewn very much? I agree if you don't have sewing experiance that material wouldn't be good to learn on.

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I guess I should have asked....have you sewn dresses before? Chiffon is hard to sew.....even if you sew a lot. You should go look at fabric and patterns and figure out what the cost will be if you try and sew it. With the cost of material, pattern and what ever else you need often it's no cheaper to sew a dress than it would be to buy one.

9. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Whoa! What a great price you found! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by