Dress-shopping blues... again.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tanichca, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG]
    My teen group is having it's annual Masquerade next month, and the parents have finally said that I am old enough to attend sans- big brother. So, today I began dress shopping.

And I was accosted by "sexy!" Now, I could pull off "sexy" if I wanted to. I have the shape and face for it. But I DON'T want to. I want elegant. I want something that doesn't bare my chest for the world to see. I want something long and classy. I'm also a very curvy and therefore larger sized girl, but all the dresses seem to be made for toothpicks to wear!

But no. Sexy is in. Oh, and everything that could possibly work is more than I make from a year of egg sales.

Fashion today has some serious issues. I've found a grand total of two dresses on ebay, and a BYCer has offered a possible third. Still, though, this is hard.

Rant over.

2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I have noticed that a lot of elegant dresses are also sexy. Also sexy can still be elegant. A lot of rich ball room dresses are still sexy in my book.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Yah, but not plunging necklines and hip-length skirts.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You might want to try a store that sells bridesmaids dresses...they are usually more elegant and longer length. :)

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Since you and I have the exact same body type, I know your pain. I hate shopping.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a rather different problem. At 5'8" and 150 lbs, I can't really whine (at least, not loudly) about my weight. But I have these somewhat assertive bones (courtesy of my Dutch ancestors) and a rather athletic lifestyle has gifted me with the shoulders of a (female) body builder. Since I have passed the half-century mark, I am sliding toward being what they used to call a "handsome older woman." I have a hard time finding things that don't make me look like "mutton dressed as lamb" or a guy in drag!

7. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Ooh this is my special! what size do you wear? what color hair and eyes do you have? what skin type do you have? how tall are you? what is your price range? what colors do you prefer? I love dress shopping!

8. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

As a very slim, small and fit 25 year old... I'm going to agree with you for the most part. Dress shopping is hard for ALL body types. I don't like anything shorter than what I can reach with my fingertips (courtesy of High School regulations). I don't like something that's so tight that you could spot my belly button. I have bony hips that I don't like to show off but every dress that's made for my body shows it all! Hips, chest, butt and I'll just admit... some even have the makings of showing off your hoo hah! Fashion today is nuts. That's why I'm just going to start making my own. As soon as I learn how...
    My advice would be to check out osme consignment shops and stores like the Salvation Army. They tend to carry less showy clothes at really good prices. I've actually got the perfect idea for your masquerade I think... At our Marden's Surplus, they carry full skirt tulle. All you need is to find a dress to wear over it, then it will pouf out and look more like period clothing. Just be careful because I've seen many masquerade pics that show a LOT of the chest area. But that could be easily fixed if you wear a lace trim cami underneath. It still looks good but more age appropriate.
    I wouldn't want to dress up to go have some fun just to realize that every girl in the room hates me because every guy in the room is not exactly noticing the dress but rather, what it's showing off.
    So maybe you can go back and take a second look at some of those sexier dresses and see how you may be able to downplay the parts you don't like. If it fits and you like it except for that one little thing, just remember it can be easily fixed.
    :) Good luck!! And remember to just have some fun.

9. Asrai

Asrai Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2011
    Colorado Springs
  10. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Found one that I fell in love with!! The WHOLE website LoL and they are really cute and cheap!
    Try this and see if you don't get some inspiration...

cute-dresses.com

Especially check out the pleated maxi in the elegant section, right around page 3
    There are so many to choose from and they all average about $10 a dress...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by