1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dressed Hamburg

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lukieg, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lukieg

Lukieg New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    I am considering starting a small flock of silver spangeled hamburgs. I will be culling for size and egg production mostly, I have read they have dark bones, had anyone dressed any of these small birds? I realize they are small.. but what a waste if they are nasty eating. Thanks

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've never eaten a hamburg, so I don't have much to say about how they taste, but I've had silkie (dark bones and skin, tasted just like any other chicken I've eaten). I ended up with a silver spangled hamburg roo from my McMurray order last spring (he went to live with the neighbor) and I must say, he's a puny little fella! I don't think I could justify all of the work involved in processing for such a small carcass, but that's just me. Good luck!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All breeds of chicken are edible. Some have better feed conversion and grow faster than others. Some get bigger than others. That is the only difference. They all taste like chicken.

If you want little roasting chickens, then give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by