Dressing French Black Copper Marans Roos

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sega, Dec 2, 2011.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    I have a few French Black Copper Maran Roos that I have not been able to sell and I am thinging about Dressing them out. They are 12 weeks old now. I have been feeding them 4 gain scratch and feeder grower. Are Marans good to eat? Anything I should know before getting started? For 12 weeks they are big chickens.

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Don't think you live in MI or I would have taken him. Have you tried the "Where I am, Where are you?" Thread? Just a thought before you process such a pretty bird. Good luck!

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Mine turned out really well and I plan on putting all of my extra roosters in "Camp Kenmore".

I would let them get a little bigger though. 16-20 weeks is ideal for a DP bird.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think of all DP Marans are by far the best tasting birds. I bred them back to a FR and the meat was great. You will have to keep at least 6 months though. I think the breast meat is a little darker. But very tasty.

5. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    We have a number of Black copper Marans flocks.
    And cull around 200 per season.
    I also raise the Cornish X.
    I can say with all honesty, that the BCM roosters are one of the best eating birds that we sell.
    Never enough to meet demand.

just my .02

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Pretty eggs, good meat.

7. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just found this through searching and see it's pretty recent.

I am amazed at how quickly my little BCM's have grown, which had me wondering how they are for meat. It's good to see that they are. BYC is the greatest to find info like this! My plan for this coming year is to find a good DP fit for us, and I sure love those marans! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by