Dressing up horses for costume class

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bkreugar, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    So I am SURE I am not the only one who LOVES the fall costume classes.

In the past DD and pony were:
    Angel and horse was tree
    pirate and horse was ship

Last year my mare and I finally got to do it and we went with a hawwian theme with coconut bra for her, grass skirt tapped to all 4 legs. leigh around her neck and BIG sunglasses. I wore crazy hawwian shirt, leigh around the neck and grass skirt.

She totally did not care, and We won all the ccusume classes we entered as well as the fall roundup parade for best costume

So this year I am NOT coming up with any great ideas. So far all I have is maybe her as a zebra and me as sheena/jane from tarzan

OR since she is grey and white her as an egg and me as a chicken

I like the zebra idea but am worried about finding paint I could use on her for black stripes and being able to wash it off in late October.

Any thoughts??

And post pics if you do this too

DD is 12.5 now and over it, but DS is totally up for dressing up the pony
    SO much fun!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

When I was young I made my mare, Tika into a flying unicorn. She was soooo laid back you could do anything to her. I paper mach'ed a face mask with a long horn for her and painted it to look like copper, then made large wings with paper feathers I cut out, then attached the wings to the saddle. I also made bracelets with stones for around her fetlocks..... I was a maiden. I wish I still had pics.....

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I used to LOVE the costume class. I just didn't like all the other horses freaking out over their costumes!

My favorite costume I did with my horse was when I made her a horse fly and I was a sugar cube. I used a card board box painted white to be the sugar cube and I took an old black halter and attached two halves of a styrofoam ball painted red to it. I also had antennas made of pipe cleaners sticking out and I made a curly little mouth thingy that hung in front of her nose off the nose band of the halter. Then I made a big black felt blanket and attached wings made out of material. I had little fuzzy black legs hanging down from her blanket. It was such an easy costume to do and it was a hit!

Another one I did was an alien costume. I used the same felt blanket idea, but made this one green and across the blanket I put the words "The Truth is Out There" on both sides. I used the same old black halter but put a green piece of felt on it to cover her forehead. I put black antennas and made black eyes out of the styrofoam balls. (I actually glued sequins on to make them shiny). I dressed up as an alien with a mask and alien hands. This costume was also a hit!

Another costume I remember was when I was a giant crayon. My horse was an orange crayon and I was a purple one. The whole costume is basically made from felt. Same felt blanket base then the black crayola insignia cut out and glued to the blanket. The point of the crayon was a birthday hat with felt glued to it. I attached my horse's to her halter. My costume was the same pretty much, but the body of the crayon was felt sewed into a tube shape with holes cut out for my arms. You can do the crayons in any colors and it is sooo easy!

I wish I had pictures, but these costumes were before our digital camera days!

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    last year Kaylee was an Indian princess and rodeo was an elephant. a 11 hand elephant. I took a halter and attached two white stuffed socks for tusks and a gray one for a trunk. then I added cardboard ears. I draped a shinny piece of fabric over the saddle. one of my husbands Indian coworkers had brought Kaylee an outfit back from India.

5. buckeyejerseygiants

buckeyejerseygiants Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    If she's small enough you could manipulate some XL overalls to fit her front legs! Add a straw hat and you're good to go! You could also do the Indian princess with a cardboard canoe attached to the horse's sides. Another idea is grapes! Purple sleazy and blanket with styrofoam balls attached! There's also purple hoof polish and purple sparkle paste that you can buy.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    This may have been overdone, but turn her into a motorcycle.

7. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    I have a paint horse, so we hand painted circles around his eyes, and handprints on his body, and all over like the indians did, and me and my sister wore Poccahontas cotumes and rode double. We won! Also, I saw somebody on a black and white pinto, who had their horse as a cow. They put a blown up plastic glove as the utter, and the person was a carton of milk. THAT was a good one.

8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I used to love costume classes!

When 101 Dalmatians made a comeback... I dressed as the bandit My mare was Cuella De'Ville (spelling). I painted her front legs red (for her red gloves). striped her mane black and white. I led a washed out palomino gelding, painted with black spots and a collar with a large tag on it that said "Lucky".

I did that same gelding one time as a candy cane with red stripes & a friend rode him dressed as a little girl. Pig tails, blue and white ruffled dress, and her face was painted up with bright rosy cheeks.

Another time, for a night time "Down on the farm" themed Christmas parade, I put an old work horse harness on my mare and put long shiny tinsel garland all over the harness. Put battery operated lights all over it also. I wore bib overalls and a really old beat up straw hat.I put lights on me too. I got put right in front of the fire truck, and with the blinders from the harness bridle on, she couldn't see what was behind her, so every time they blew the whistle, she would do a 360 spin, so she could see. With all the lights and tinsel on her, it made a big hit with the crowd! We won 1st place!

I have also done the Indian theme, Lone Ranger, and the Headless Horseman.

I know I have done many more, I just can't think of them right now.

My mare didn't care what I asked her to do, she has a heart the size of Texas, and will attempt anything I am brave enough to ask of her!

Jean

9. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I help a lady who does therapy with handicapped kids on the horses. Every year she has a fall fest and we dress the horses up. Some of the costumes have been: Unicorn, UPS truck, bannana, indian horse, jester, batman, Romeo and Juliet (two horses), hula horse, devil, flower girl, witch. My favorites are the UPS horse, batman, and banana.
    For the UPS horse we had a dark brown horse and printed out the UPS logo and taped them to each hip. We used gold colored hair spray to write the letters U P S on his sides. We then wrapped some small boxes up in brown paper and tied stings around them and hung them in his mane and tail.
    For the banana we had a palamino horse and printed out two big Chiquita banana stickers and stuck them to his hips, using black hair spray we turned his forlock and tail into the stems. We also put lines down his sides like the ridges on the banana.
    For batman we used the same palamino horse. We got a black fly mask and taped two small black "wings" to the sides of it. He also wore a black garbage bag cape (you could use fabric also). We painted his hooves with black hoof polish. And sprayed some black hair spray up his legs like boots.
    If you like any of the other ideas I can tell you how I did them too. The colored or glitter hair spray you find all over around Halloween works good. It usually can be brushed out the next day and what doesn't brush out is usually worn out within a week. Some horses don't like the sound of the spray and will freak out when you try to use it so make sure you use caution and get them used to it before you go to dress them up. We usually stock up on it the day after Halloween because it goes on sale.

10. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    We have done bride and groom - this was funny as the bride was a big clyde cross, and the groom was a small Arab gelding. Used a Goodwill wedding dress, garter, plastic pearls, and veil. If you use one with a long train, it will spread out over the back. For the groom, an old black suit, with shirt and tie attached, all of them cut up the back, tied around the neck, arms stuffed with gloves on the end. then cover the back with matching black fabric cut into a tail coat shape near the rump. A costume store top hat completed it.
    The arab has also been King Tut, and our Gypsy cross - well, a Gypsy, of course, complete with bangles and earrings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by