Dribbly Spigot

jennybvcr

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Connecticut
Hi, friends! Hoping I could pick some brains on a plumbing issue that I'd love to see if I can resolve myself. It's finally warm enough to connect the hoses to run water out to the ducks (instead of having to hand carry buckets UGH MY LEAST FAVORITE CHORE EVER) and I went to attach the hose and it was a sad dribble.

I disconnected everything and to my chagrin, the issue seems to be coming FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE. The water coming out of the spigot at the side of the house is slow. I went down in the basement to check for leaks and didn't see anything that would have messed with the pressure. The pipe seems to be a white water hose, not a rigid pipe. I don't know if that changes anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this without calling in a plumber? We're pretty broke so DIY is always my first option. Happy to get my hands dirty, just don't want to make the problem worse. Everything I have read is about what to do if the faucet is leaking. This seems like the opposite of that problem!

When water volume decreases through inside plumbing, it's usually due to mineral deposits. It happens more often with the hot water pipes from heating and cooling precipitating out minerals, but cold water pipes build up, too over decades. The only alternative is to replace with new pipe. Not what you want to hear. Even less is hearing a plumber tell you how much it will cost. Hint: a lot.

However, if this outside faucet is a frost-free, it might have malfunctioned and is now ruptured on the inside of your outside wall. This happened to me a few years ago. The faucet didn't self drain and a deep overnight freeze froze the water sitting in the pipe causing a rupture that caused the water only to dribble out of the faucet while most of the flow was through a leak just inside the foundation. Having a plumber replace the faucet wasn't that expensive.

can you work out and describe better what is between the dribbly one and the nearest good one on the same line ?

Need more info, perhaps pics too. You might be able to rule out the tap by removing it temporarily. How far up the line is the partial blockage is important to work out, what is the nearest good place. drawn diagrams, and photos help a lot.

If you need to replace the faucet during the project, the "turn the wheel" outdoor faucets they sell at home depot are no good. The boiler drain valves are good, though. In late fall, right before freeze, we turn the valve to the outdoor faucet off INSIDE the house. And then we disconnect outside hose and open the valve all the way. The outside water supply stays off until spring.

Back
Top Bottom