Dried blood around nostril

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wendigo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    I just bought 4 chicks, 4 months old, and I didn't notice that one of them had some dried blood in her left nostril. There doesn't seem to be any injury on the outside. My only concern is that this is a sympton of a disease. Can anything except a good blow from another one cause this?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Are you certain she wasn't pecking someone else causing the blood to be on her face or nostril? Are you certain its her blood?? How is her breathing? Does she seem normal or are there any symptoms ofa rerespitory illness? Watch her closely and make certain she is breathing normally and there is no
    coughing or sneezing with her. Also make sure no
    mucus is present in her nose. clean the area and
    watch her if the blood returns then I would be
    concerned.
    . But I would clean
    the nostril and see if the blood returns. Are you
    certain she didn't get into someone else's blood that
    might have a wound? I would do the process of
    eliminating. Wipe the area clean then see if the blood
    returns. If it does not return then hopefully she is
    alright. If it does return then I would defiently be
    concerned.ive not personally heard of bleeding from
    the nostril as a sign of any particular illness but if it continues to happen I would assume its her sinus or respitory related. Are you sure she didn't get scratched in the nostril?? Id clean the area and see if the blood returns. Id keep a eye on her just to make certain she's not bleeding from there. I hope this helps a little. Keep us posted on what happens after you clean the area. Let us know if she stays clean or continus to bleed from there. Best wishes

3. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    I'm not sure of anything. I brought them home 4 hours ago. It was like this when I got her. She's eating and drinking normally. I can't get too close to them yet, still stressed from the trip and getting used to the place.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It was probably from a peck someone received while traveling. A couple of respiratory diseases can cause bloody mucus from the nose, but there would be lots of it. The chickens would be having coughing, sneezing, lots of snots and looking very bad. Watch for any bloody droppings too since one may have stuck their nose in it. I probably wouldn't worry about it unless you see more. The best time to handle your new chickens will be after dark in their coop when they have gone to roost. Checking them for lice and mites under their vents at the base of the feathers, and worming with a good wormer like Safeguard liquid goat wormer would be good to do with new chickens. Good luck, you will enjoy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by