Dried Feet & Legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deserthotwings, Jan 4, 2013.

1. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I'm hoping to get some advise on how to treat my 3 year old RR hen who has severely cracked feet and legs. I adopted her about 2 weeks ago and never noticed it at the time but apparently the former owner didn't let her soak her feet in the summer. This is critical for chickens here in the desert. The rest of my birds spend a lot of time when its hot soaking their feet. Her feet and legs have large cracks in them to the point that it is painful for her to walk or stand. I tried putting some vegetable oil in a pan of worm water but thought there might be someone with a better idea. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Try putting Vaseline on her legs/feet. It really helps and acts as a chicken lotion.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Vegetable oil or Vet Rx can also be used.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 in addition it will address scaly leg mites if that happens to be part of the problem.

5. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Thanks yall, our climate here is really hard on their feet and legs in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by