dried fruits and veggies for winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Aug 29, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Since produce can get expensive during the winter I was wondering if anyone dried their own produce. I have a flock of six and a rabbit so I would only be keeping about five gallon bags worth at a time, most likely in the freezer. They'd probably get about a cup a day.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've never done it, but that ought to work.... guess all you'd need to do is re-hydrate and serve!

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Can chickens not eat dehydrated food?

I could always plop it in some water I guess.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I dehydrate tomatoes, celery, bananas, apples, and strawberries for me and my husband. I have also done onions and blueberries without success. I don't dehydrate blueberries anymore, they crumble into dust. And onions must be dehyrated OUTSIDE, because the smell never goes away! [​IMG]

Dried kale is actually very tasty. When I was in Weight Watchers, one of my co-dieters made it and it was a nice crispy snack. She just spritzed it with olive oil, seasoned it and dried it in the oven. I bet the chickens would appreciate that during the winter.

I think you would need to rehydrate most of the veggies before giving to them. I have eaten to much dried beef jerky and I know what it feels like when the jerky aborbs all the moisture out of your body and swells to four times the size. If you dehydrate greens for the chickens, I would suggest that you don't rehydrate before feeding - they pretty much turn to mush when rehydrated.

I think this is a good idea, and one I will stash away in my brain for when I finally can get chickens. I like having the dried stuff on hand anyway, so I will just try to dry extra!

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I was thinking of drying the greens and flaking them, for the bigger things I was going to chop them or shred them into small pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by