Dried goo stuck on faces of chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madelynbelle, May 6, 2009.

1. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I had to help a few chicks out last night. They are doing good now after I gave them a bath and got most of the dried stuff off their bodies. I did not want to overtraumatize them as they had a hard time the first few hours. Is is o.k. to leave some of the stuff on them. Will it just fall off eventually as they grow. One has quite a bit by his eyes and top of head, but I had to soak them in a cup of water for 5 minutes just to get the stuff off the body. A wet washcloth doesnt work and I dont want to overstress them. Do you leave it on and let it come off on its own or does it have to be taken off by me. Its the texture of super glue when it dries so ripping it off is out of the question and I can't soak its head or it will drown or asphyxiate water in its lungs I think

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be fine as long as the goo isn't keeping them from opening their beaks to eat/drink. or obstructing their eyes or nose. It will come off on it's own eventually. I know it looks yucky, but if it's really stuck on there, you're better off just leaving it alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by