Dried Mealworms as treats????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Dec 16, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Can I feed my 10 day old chicks dried mealworms ??

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I tried feeding dried mealworms to my last batch of chicks, and they didn't seem to care for them. Yet my adult chickens go nuts over them and will do anything to get them. I think they might seem a little strange to the babies that are only used to chick starter feed. However, I don't think they could hurt them.

3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    You can try. when they are young I try to introduce them to as many things. They love having big rocks and logs to jump on. Branches really not logs. Milk crates, smaller rocks, handfulls of weeds, grass and the roots included. They LOVE to root around in those things. Little pieces of banana and soft cooked veggies, etc. AND mealworms! And if they don't like them now make sure you introduce them over and over, they might like them later! Yogurt mine liked only when they were older....And bananas...

4. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    My 6 week old and my grown chickens love them.

5. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    My little ones love them!! They go crazy when they see the mealworm container. They look like popcorn popping jumping up and down in excitement when I shake the container. Not to mention the feeding frenzy that happens when I toss a few worms in their cage. [​IMG]

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    That would be a great treat/protein supplement to give them. Be sure to give them a little grit too.

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I bought live mealworms about 2 months ago and let them stay in a container to become beetles and breed, I have about 300 beetles in there now so soon enough I will have a bunch of new mealworms lol, my chickens will run you over trying to get mealworms, I use an old green bean can to take them out to the chickens so when they see "dad" coming out with that signature silver can they will break down a fence to get to me lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by