1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dried Mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crystal195655, Feb 8, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    Is it ok to give 2-3 week old chicks dried mealworms? I have given them chopped up hard boiled egg and they love it, but wondered if it was safe to give them the mealworms? I notice that they are extremely high in protein, so I would guess you wouldn't want to give them very much, maybe 2-3 worms each?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They can have them - absolutely.

However, I did once read a horror story on BYC once about how someone gave very young chicks dried mealworms and since they also look like their toes, it started them pecking each others' toes in the brooder.

So I personally wait until they are out of the brooder and very busy in the chicken yard before I give them.

3. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I would wait another week or two but that's just me. I usually start giving my chicks meal worms when they are about 4-5 weeks old. It seems my chicks always go through this scared stage where they are afraid of me, the meal worms make them my best friend [​IMG] I hand feed them 1 at a time and make them take it out of my hand, works like a charm. Good Luck!

Trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by